Encouragement for the Discouraged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
Well.. I haven't been on in quite some time.. I've gotten engaged and gotten married and moved in the last year! Scarlett is alive and well.. She turned 2 in December. The road with her hasn't been easy .. She was the smallest of the clutch and she was always a VERY picky eater.. And she was my first reptile. I had done endless hours of research before we got her to make sure that we were prepared. I would always wonder how everyone else could get their beardies to eat so well and try new things.. Scarlett was never like that.. We tried every worm and vegetable possible.. In fact it stressed me out so much that I had considered giving her to someone.. She would just sleep for days (not during brumation) and wouldn't eat or poop for weeks.. It worried me so bad.. I even took her to the vet to see if anything was wrong and she always checked out just fine...I kept thinking well maybe she is just slower than the other beardies and she will eventually catch up. I read all sorts of articles trying to figure out why she was this way.

She turned 2 in December and it was almost like something "clicked" in her head. She began window dancing everyday.. She is up when her lights come on and up until they go off.. She will eat anything and everything we offer her. She loves to tease the dog.. It's just like she is a completely different beardie.. It's funny b/c my mom loves Scarlett from a distance.. lol but when she saw the difference in her she encouraged me to get back on the forum and post just to see if I could encourage anyone that was going through the same thing. I don't really expect many replies but hopefully this might help someone.. If you would like to see her this is her thread that is now locked b/c I haven't been on in so long viewtopic.php?f=30&t=139664

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's actually a very nice post and may be just what someone needs to read, as there are multiple posts with worries about sluggish or slow growing dragons. And that Scarlett is just beautiful. Congrats. on your new life and the " new " Scarlett ! :)

stormwolfe

Scarlett is gorgeous! And, this thread is just what I needed.

I just lost my baby Beardie and am being presented with another (older and larger)...so I am having all the same fears and discouraging feelings again! I never gave up on Rex, but there were days I sat and cried because I couldn't figure out how to encourage him to eat better. He was a sweet, gentle little soul and I hope his time with me was not totally unpleasant. He was loved!

It is great that you shared Scarlett's story. It cautions patience for those of us that might be teetering on the brink of giving up!

Blessed Be...to you and Scarlett

Stormwolfe

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
AHBD":3lfchsz4 said:
It's actually a very nice post and may be just what someone needs to read, as there are multiple posts with worries about sluggish or slow growing dragons. And that Scarlett is just beautiful. Congrats. on your new life and the " new " Scarlett ! :)

Thank you! I just felt like I needed to share this bc it's definitely been a stressful ride but I'm so thankful she is finally acting like a normal beardie!

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
stormwolfe":mtj3eyhm said:
Scarlett is gorgeous! And, this thread is just what I needed.

I just lost my baby Beardie and am being presented with another (older and larger)...so I am having all the same fears and discouraging feelings again! I never gave up on Rex, but there were days I sat and cried because I couldn't figure out how to encourage him to eat better. He was a sweet, gentle little soul and I hope his time with me was not totally unpleasant. He was loved!

It is great that you shared Scarlett's story. It cautions patience for those of us that might be teetering on the brink of giving up!

Blessed Be...to you and Scarlett

Stormwolfe

So sorry to hear about your loss! Some beardies just aren't healthy from the beginning and no matter how hard we try it just wasn't meant to be. There were days I was afraid that I would wake up and Scarlett wouldn't be alive.. It was just a very stressful thing and I just kept thinking I wasn't cut out for it.. My patience definitely paid off in the end and I just wanted to share my story.. I wouldn't let your experience discourage you from trying another baby bc they are so fun and interesting as babies and to watch them grow is facinating. However I would do some research on breeders and order one from a reputable one.. I ordered Scarlett online from a breeder and they shipped her over night to me when she was 6 weeks old.. Good luck in finding a new baby!

stormwolfe

Thank you very much.

We did find a new baby from a reputable breeder. He will be here in the morning. Overnight shipping also. I decided to go with a slightly older dragon (6 months +/-). He's a beautiful male, hypo translucent tiger, 12 1/2 inches, approximately 6 months old. *Chuckles* Wow, what a mouthful and all I cared about was that he was of a decent age, healthy, on a good diet and eats well...

This is the breeder's picture...

ilDuWIY.png

Right now, his name is Forty. I'm awaiting inspiration.

Blessed Be,

Stormwolfe

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Wow he's a looker! Congrats and good luck! U should post a pic and ask for name ideas :) that's always fun!

stormwolfe

Thankies!

I will do that once he's home, settled and I can get some images. Sadly, all that stuff on the type he is goes right over my head. I fell in love with his face.

~ Stormwolfe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom