Enclosure Size - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

kFitz

Hatchling Member
Hey everyone! So I'm brand new to this site and have been poking around. I just rescued a BD from a friend's friend and was needing advice on caging. I was told that he is about 3 1/2 years old and he is huge. They gave me everything that they had for him as well. Here is where my questioning comes... He came in a 24"lx24"wx14"h tank with a 24' UVB and a ceramic heat lamp on walnut that looks sand-like. I know the walnut needs to go and I'll be cleaning that out when I'm done with this message. Also, I've read that the ceramic heat lamp isn't a good idea? I just wanted clarification on that. I've had snakes in the past, but I'd imagine these guys are a bit different.
The cage looks pretty big to me, but then again, what do I know. Everything I've read as said the 4x2x2 tank is ideal. So, I went onto craigslist and found a 4'x16"x17.5" tank. Should I get that one or is he fine in the tank he came in. I figure he's been living in that tank since they got him 3 years ago. I know bigger is always better in terms of tank size, but I wanted to see if a) the tank he came in would work, or b) if the tank I'm looking at would be big enough. It's long enough, but not very deep. Any advice I could get would be much appreciated. I've wanted a beardie since I was little and I want to make sure he is well taken care of. Thanks!

furmanbr

I am by no means an expert but assuming you need a quick response due to the craigslist dilemma I would suggest you get the one you saw on craigslist. The tank your beardie is in now is definitely too small for one that big and depending on how handy you are maybe you could get this one on craigslist and it would suffice while you built a 4x2x2 that would be the perfect size for an adult.
Good Luck!!

kFitz

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks! Ya, I'm getting the one from craigslist today. I'll get pictures up of the new guy soon. I think he's fat, not just big.

midwestreptiles

Hatchling Member
Sweet post up picks also like you said scrap the CHE and get a bright basking bulb for him and depending on how old that uv is maybe get a fresh repti sun10.0 24" by zoo med and he will be very happy.

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
kFitz":f82fc said:
Hey everyone! So I'm brand new to this site and have been poking around. I just rescued a BD from a friend's friend and was needing advice on caging. I was told that he is about 3 1/2 years old and he is huge. They gave me everything that they had for him as well. Here is where my questioning comes... He came in a 24"lx24"wx14"h tank with a 24' UVB and a ceramic heat lamp on walnut that looks sand-like. I know the walnut needs to go and I'll be cleaning that out when I'm done with this message. Also, I've read that the ceramic heat lamp isn't a good idea? I just wanted clarification on that. I've had snakes in the past, but I'd imagine these guys are a bit different.
The cage looks pretty big to me, but then again, what do I know. Everything I've read as said the 4x2x2 tank is ideal. So, I went onto craigslist and found a 4'x16"x17.5" tank. Should I get that one or is he fine in the tank he came in. I figure he's been living in that tank since they got him 3 years ago. I know bigger is always better in terms of tank size, but I wanted to see if a) the tank he came in would work, or b) if the tank I'm looking at would be big enough. It's long enough, but not very deep. Any advice I could get would be much appreciated. I've wanted a beardie since I was little and I want to make sure he is well taken care of. Thanks!

Unfortunately, neither are really ideal. The original one isn't long enough, and the other one isn't wide enough. The height for both is fine, depending on your heating situation and what you are using for UVB (i.e. an MVB bulb is out of the question most likely) I think the best thing would be something where he can turn completely around without touching the sides. If he's 3 years old, he's probably close to 20" long, so the craigslist tank is probably really pushing it.

Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear. :?

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
kFitz":7814b said:
Also, I've read that the ceramic heat lamp isn't a good idea? I just wanted clarification on that.
midwestreptiles":7814b said:
Sweet post up picks also like you said scrap the CHE and get a bright basking bulb for him and depending on how old that uv is maybe get a fresh repti sun10.0 24" by zoo med and he will be very happy.
Just to clarify for anyone reading this in the future, there is nothing wrong with a CHE. They provide heat, and in some cases may be necessary to maintain the appropriate temperature at night when there should be no lights on in the enclosure. The bright light requirement is to protect the BDs eyes from the UVB source. So, yes, you'll want to add another light source for during the day in the basking area. If the night time temps are fine (with no lights on), then you won't need to use a CHE. However, if you need to heat it up at night, you'll be glad you held on to it. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom