Enclosure/Platform build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafal

Getting ready for my first Bearded Dragon. Decided to make as much as I can...

Here's the enclosure. 36.5 gallons is what it came out to be after lining the inside with maple flooring.

I originally had 3 sides with plexi, however the basking lamp location was too close to the plexi and started warping it, so I removed it and added flooring on that side instead... It'll probably insulate it a little better.

Here is the cave/water dish/platform I made:

Follow online directions. Used foam for shape, then tinted tile grout. Did 2 coats of tile sealant on top and used TerraCotta spray paint to give some more color. It's been airing out for 5 days now, so I think it'll be safe to use in maybe a day or two.

Thanks for looking,
Rafal

Rafal

Original Poster
So a little update. I had the enclosure set up in my room for 2 days now checking humidity and temp. Temps looked good on the hot side: between 95 and 103 depending on the spot under basking lamp. Cold side and humidity is where I had an issue. I think because of the wood, the cold side was getting up to 90 in some spots and I couldn't get the humidity down past 50%. So I decided to make a 2" vent on the cold side back wall, to help circulate the air a little more. It might not have that huge of an affect, but if needed I can cut the hole behind the vent a little larger, so we will see. Worst case scenario I'll get a dehumidifier, but that's my last resort. Night time temps were 75 to 77.

My only other concern is that part of the basking platform that's right under the basking bulb gets heated up to 130 degrees. It's a small areas directly under the bulb on the edge of the platform... Is that a huge concern? I'm worried that if I get a smaller wattage bulb (75w currently) my temps will drop down again, and humidity will rise.

Thanks for looking,
Rafal

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
That's a great looking build. Kudos to you for getting everything built and being responsible to ensure your little guy/girl will have the proper temps and space.

How close is the UV bulb to it's basking spot (6-8" is usually optimal)?

I'm wondering if you can add a little more height for climbing, like another tree branch. Mine loves her hammock and it adds extra space by utilising the height of the tank.

I put my heat light on a dimmer, that way I can adjust the temps. If you get a baby it will need higher temps than an adult. If the dragon gets too hot, it will move and find a better spot. As long as there are appropriate temp gradients to allow for them to thermo regulate.

If you take the water dish out does it do anything for the humidity levels?

Rafal

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply, the longest distance between the UVB bulb and a spot on the platforms in the cage is 12"... The floor is 17". The top of log is about 10". I figured because of the height of the cage the 10.0 UVB would be good. I'll look into getting a hammock as well.

I'll have to look into a dimmer or swapping that bulb out.

I was planning on using a water dish hence why it's in there, but that's my second option if I can't bring the humidity down anymore is to take it out.

Thanks again,
Rafal

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
You might want to lower the UV bulb a bit or put in something where it can get within the 6-8" mark of the UV bulb. If you have another branch or hammock you're adding you can make sure it's within that range.

scorpius

Very cool design it's got that "Planet of the Apes" "Ape City" vibe going for it

PS: The original Chuck Heston film not the remakes

Rafal

Original Poster
scorpius":tnvqtvda said:
Very cool design it's got that "Planet of the Apes" "Ape City" vibe going for it

PS: The original Chuck Heston film not the remakes

Ha, thanks now that is all I will be thinking of when I look in there.

Rafal

quyllur

Hatchling Member
Build looks beautiful, very clean lines!

I would get a dimmer or lower wattage bulb and let your basking spot get a little higher, killing two birds with one stone: lowering cool side temperatures to an appropriate range and getting your little guy closer to the UVB.

With a T8 10.0 bulb he needs to be able to get within 6-8" of the bulb.

Humidity should be addressed via airflow, not by removing water access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom