Enclosure Arguments

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might be a bit long!

So my father keeps snakes. He rescues them. We have 11 snakes and one of them is a recent addition coming from the same home that my beardie was rescued from. But it was my decision to take the beardie from my coworker. My father was only anticipating me bringing the red tail boa. While my father does his best to keep up with the care of the 10 snakes we've had for a few years now, I constantly argue with him about their husbandry and now it's extended to the bearded dragon.

I want to work toward a DIY enclosure but right now I need to move him out of the 20 gallon long tank he's in because there isn't a sufficient heat gradient for him. The red tail boa I got from my coworker is in a 36" x 18" x 17" tank which would suit my beardie better in the interim while I purchase the supplies for a DIY build. However, that would displace the boa and so I was trying to get my dad's suggestions on another enclosure I can put the boa in so the 40-gallon could be used for my beardie Mizu. His reaction was this: "He's fine in the tank he's in! You don't need all that!" My father does not invest in hot spots for the snakes, despite the fact that it's necessary for thermoregulating so he's not concerned by Mizu's tiny enclosure right now. I can't truly invest in another tank for Mizu at the moment because my bills are stacked against me but I don't want him to be in an unsuitable sized tank for much longer. I wish I could get through to him about proper heating/husbandry.

This has been a frustrated rant.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Have you looked at keeping the boa in a tub? Some of the really large rubbermades make good enclosures for snakes and shouldn't cost more than $20-30.

pierceofthereptiles

Original Poster
Confession: I have a 100L tub that is usually for feeding/other things my father does with them. There are numerous tubs he can use so I took this 100L one and have transferred her to it so that I can clean out and place my beardie in the 40g breeder tank. I might also snag a 55 or 75 gallon (or both) for beardie (red tail as well if I get both).

Basically, I have the house to myself right now so I'm doing what I know I need to do for the beardie and the boa and ignoring my father's fussing. I really should be asleep though because I work overnight tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom