Emerald's Sydney Ill, maybe dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Hi all. I was talking to Emerald this evening and her beardie, Miss Sydney had her eyes sunken in and she had a black beard and tail. Her stomach was large. She is on her way to Tucson, AZ to the emergency vet. I just got off the phone with her again and she thinks Sydney is dead. She would like to know about how to preserve her body until she can get a necropsy done. Should you keep the body in the refrigerator or the freezer? I talked to someone at the U of A vet place that does them for about $150 but I don't remember much. The vet she wants to see won't be back until Friday, if I remember correctly.

Thanks, in advance, for your help

Lori

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
If she is certain that he has passed then freezing him would be the best thing to do.Please tell Emerald I am sorry.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Thanks, Vicky, I will tell her. I will probably talk to her tomorrow.

BTW Vicky: Miss Sydney is (was?) a female. She and Sir Darwin were the very first beardie she had. She had Miss Sydney since she was about 2 months old and isn't handling it very well.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Ann,

I am so sorry about Miss Sydney. Did she pass, or was she just very ill?
Usually, putting them in the freezer is the best, but of course making absolute sure that she has passed on first.
Please let us know if there is anything that we can do to help you.

Tracie

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
She left me a message on my cell phone last night, she did die. A Dr. Swanson saw Sydney. She was charged for the exam, but not the x-ray they did and they did a necropsy there and found her liver very large and jaundiced, she had a tumor that was 5 cm's She was bleading out. They figure the tumor was causing the partial prolapse. When I was with her breefly yesterday evening and Sydney seemed more dead than alive, she suddenly raised up her head and opened her mouth. I only saw that when my husband's mother was dying of cancer, then with my father when he was dying of cancer. The tumor explains, to me, reaction I saw in her yesterday evening.

Emerald isn't handling this very well, kind of like we (Bill, mainly) handled Miss O's death (in 06).

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Oh please tell her how sorry I am again.Yes I know that exact behavior,it is like they are fighting for that last second of life, it is absolutely heartbreaking.Please let her know that it is not her fault,beardies are just so good at masking illness that many times we do not see a problem until it is already to late.My heart goes out to her and let her know Sydney is over the rainbow bridge now at peace and without pain.
Rainbow_Bridge.jpg

TheWaveCarver

Hatchling Member
R.I.P. - Miss Sydney I can tell was a great beardie and changed many lives. I feel thats all I can really say and that my thoughts are with Emerald and all that are in pain from this... :cry:

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Thanks, Vicky. I sent her a link to this. She is a member her but spends more time on pogona, a yahoo group for beardies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom