Emerald swift issue..sexing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starforce2

Juvie Member
Firstly...can 2 males be housed together? I saw an image where they show dominant and non-dominant male, which suggests they can, and one will be green with bright blue underbelly and the other a drab grey with less blue underbelly.

However, I thought the drab color and less blue was a female, but was told females have no blue coloring on the underbelly? Which is correct? I am trying to figure out if I actualy saw a dominant/submissive pair of males at the pet store or if they were a male/female pair. Having trouble finding a decent female ventral image on google.

Nuka042

Hatchling Member
I found this care sheet on Emerald Swifts, maybe not the best but this covers the basics:
http://www.herpcenter.com/emerald-swift-caresheet.html

With any reptiles, you do not want to house two males together due to the aggressive behavior of males, they will get territorial and fight. It's never good to have one dominant and the other non-dominant, it will lead to the non-dominant one getting less light, less food, less everything compared to the dominant one. One reptile per tank is ideal. However I only know as much as the caresheets tell me. If anyone one here as some experience with the Emerald Swifts can correct me if I'm wrong please do.

BTW didn't know about these little guys till now, they're gorgeous.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I never saw any blue on my females. I had a trio of these before, and as the other poster mentioned, you should ideally have a male + female or a few females. They are fun, they don't really like to be held, but they are not extremely shy, and mine mated + actually had babies. They are live bearers, so that was a surprise to see the cute babies appear in the tank, mine had 5 - 6 on different occasions. Their courtship display is typical, but the male was so cute, he bobbed his head rapidly and once even actually took the female's tail in his mouth as he was following her and bobbing, it was too funny .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom