Electricity blackout question

Status
Not open for further replies.

vmac

Well, winter's here now and this is the season of snow/ice storms which also mean sometimes electricity blackout can happen. My question is simple, what do you guys do in case of a blackout and the temperature start dropping ? Most of the times it can happen only a few hours but sometimes it can last for longer. Any tips for this kind of emergency ? I just want to be prepared to do the right thing if it ever happen this year. I guess that if it's too long the best solution is to leave the house with your dragon and drive away to who ever you know that still have electricity but what can you do for the first few hours when the temperature is about to get colder than the night temp and slipping in the low 60's ?

Thanks

Trogdor_1

Juvie Member
Having no lights for a while won't hurt your beardie. Just don't feed them when the power is out.
As for providing heat, try getting products that self heat. There are some glove warmers that you "crack" and they heat up. Keep a supply of those and some warm, fleece blankies handy. You can make beardie burritos when the temps drop. :)

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Yep! I keep a case of the hand warmers on hand in my beardie emergency kit. They also help keep your feeders warm so you don't loose them while power is out. :D

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
The hand warmers(heat packs) Trogdor is talking about you can get at your local Walmart. They are very inexpensive and you get I think three to a pack. They last many hours (don't quote me,but I believe 8-10 hrs). Make sure when you use them that you put a towel or something in between the heat pack and your beardie.
Good thing you asked about it now instead after the fact. I live in Fla. and have fled from my fair share of hurricanes(with my beardie), so I know where your coming from(as far as not having power).

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
You can aslo pick them up at an Army Surplus store if you have one near you and they are even cheaper than Wal-mart. The ones I have are 10+ hours, but they do get rather warm so you must wrap them in a small towel or blankie like gulfbrzdawn said. :D

Trogdor80

Hatchling Member
Ideally you should have a back up means of heating your house like a fire place,kerosene heater, or a generator to make electricity.

Hand warmers and a blanket could work short term.

If you don't have a back up way of warming your house and your hand warmers are dead, you are gonna have to put the beardie inside a coat with you and let your body heat do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom