Egg Laying

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClaireSage

Hello,

This is a question out of curiosity more than anything else.
Does a female Bearded Dragon lay eggs even if they have not been with another Beardie?

My Bearded Dragon (Sage) is about 3 years old now and has not layed any eggs. She does have a bone deficiancy which the vet says has most liktley been passed onto her through her parents because I'm feeding her correctly and have been making sure she gets enough sunlight etc..
So he said I'm doing extreamly well to improve her Bones as much as I already have and she is improving.

But she hasnt layed any eggs! Or even attempted to.
Now she is either a Bert (Boy), or its to do with her health or they dont lay eggs unless they have sex.

This is my second Bearded Dragon though I had a adult male before. I only had him for five years because he was pretty old when I brought him anyway. Though I had him a good five years.

Sage is a very tame and relaxed lizard, currently she is lay in my arms asleep.

So is this something I should be concirned about?

(I do have pics if needed/wanted.)

Skipper7

Juvie Member
Pics are always wanted! :D

Like chickens, beardies do lay infertile eggs. I have an almost 8 year old female who has never laid eggs. Some do, some don't. Consider yourself lucky :lol:

ClaireSage

Original Poster
I'm not sure how you post pictures, can you help me out please? Lol

And so do I have anything to worry about? She seems healthy in herself. She is curled up onto a hot waterbottle in a blanket so it dont burn her and she sleeps there by my side all night.
Its the only way to keep her warm. She dont stay by her heat lamp in her vivarium.

The vet says she is doing much better when she sleeps beside me or cuddled up into my arms lol. Or with her boyfriend (A stuffed toy in the shape of a lizard.)

Ive honestly not seen her this healthy in a long time. But then she can be a lazy bum x)
Sleeps all day and cuddles all night.
She sits in my window sill and watches the sun rise in the morning. Though she likes to wake me up by jumping onto my head.

Hehe!

Thank you for the help

Skipper7

Juvie Member
Sleeping all day could be brumation. Is she sleepy all the or just recently?

You say the warm bottle is the only way to keep her warm. Do you mean all the time or just at night? During the day she NEEDS heat from her lamp and UVB from a tube fixture (or being outside in sunlight).

I am not an expert, so don't take my word over your vet's. But, what does her diet consist of, and how often does she get calcium?

Go here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/#list to upload pics. Then, when you post your reply, click the XIMG button on the top toolbar.

I'm glad she enjoys being cuddled :) I couldn't view the pics as I don't have facebook. Please post some!

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Typically females can lay infertile eggs after a brumation period. That's their seasonal pattern in the wild. Some animals won't breed or lay eggs without a winter cooling period with shortened day lengths. I have gila monsters and Mexican beaded lizards that I force brumate for 4 months for breeding.

ClaireSage

Original Poster
Thats weird. I put it on public meaning everyone can see even if they dont have facebook.
Anyway I will try on my laptop in the morning.

And she gets more UV from the sunlight as she hides away from it whenever I or my father out her in her cage.
Urm I do put her under her heat lamp and UV light though so no worries about that.

She is VERY picky on what she will eat. She dont have much of an appitite. Sometimes I have had to force her to have a little something because she refused food a few times but I think that is more her just not wanting what i offer her.

I try to five her salad and I also get tubs of crickets and a mix of worms and locusts offline as they are soaked in calceum and are much better for them then the calcium powder as they were made for that purpose only.

But I give her calceum as often as I can (so every evening when i give her salad and she gets it in the morning from the bugs.)

But as i said she is fine within herself she is just sleepy a lot because its winter and also being in my room all day is a place where she knows to go to sleep. Her viv is at the bottom of my bed so I usually get her out and lie her in the sun as the sun rises and she gradually wakes up to the light.
She then dowes try to get out of my window x) but thats normal. She loves the out doors.

Anyway thank you for your help.
I dont think she will produce eggs mostly because of her bone deficiancy but thats improving as she was weak when we brought her. That was the reason i brought her so I could nurse her back to health.

Thank you all for your help. Pics will be posted soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom