EGG Laying substrate sterilization please read...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jallenfl

This information comes from myself and a friend of mine that have spent some time in the horticulture business and this has proven to be very important to us.

Often I log on to these forums and read up on knowledge and until now have done nothing but learn and now I have knowledge to spread.

Throughout my experience I have come into many harmfull organisms in the soil I have used to grow my produce and flowers. Many of these organisms attack the plant starting with the roots and so on spread form here to the plant causing harmfull and much unwanted results. Now before you quit reading thinking this is a thread on plants and you think i am stupid or crazy let me elaborate.

Many times I see questions about a female dragon that is gravid and ready to lay eggs. To my astonishment I find people often give the best advice they can and it is really nothing more than unknowledgeable people trying to help when they should remain silent.(Breeders included)

First off this has nothing to do with the container used nor the heat but it does however deal with the substrate used to lay the eggs. Most people purchase a mixture of dirt from their local hardware store I.E. Lowes, Homedepot and the like.
These dirt mixtures are by far the worst thing anyone could do if not using the method in which I am about to explain in full detail. When purchasing these soils there is no guarantee in where the dirt comes from nor a method of regultaion for the contents. Many of these substrates are a mixture of sand and dirt along with many other things that are not listed and so on.

Many organisms in the dirt are lowering the lifespan of your pets and breeding dragons without you ever knowing it.

Their are numerous amounts of harmfull bacteria and they only thrive in the moist humid enviroment of the bag they are in while left in the sun to only speed the process. Now many soils contain beneficial organisms also which will naturally combat these harmfull species and provail. Unfortunately they usually must be added to the soil while the harmfull ones are already thriving.

Do you know what is in your soil % wise?
Here is a method find a large enough glass jar to hold around 1lb soil when it is half full that you have purchased. Add the soil to the jar and then add enough distilled water to fill the jar with about half filled with the soil. tighten the lid to the jar and shake vigorously for about 1 minute. Once this is done allow the jar to sit on an even surface for about an hour or even longer if you like. After this period the soil should have separated and will now show you the contents on different levels. Often I find most soils are around 60-70% dirt containing a certain % of sand and crustacean material (shells) along with this numerous seeds will float and you will even see dead bugs on the surface water.

Now you are probably going wow never thought of this and these are just the mixtures as you would need a microscope to see the true harmfull stuff (Bacteria).
Now how do I insure that the soil is 100% healthy for my egg baring female and what will give the best scenario for healthy off-spring.

This next method will seem pretty easy given you actually care to establish the best enviroment possible and actually only takes a few minutes and will do wonders in the long run. After all this typing the method is simple please microwave your soil for at least 3 minutes depending on the amount of soil used at one time this may take several rotations to complete as I dont know of a jumbo microwave. The sessions in the microwave will guarantee 100% sterile soil. As females lay their eggs a certaim % of bodily fluids is also exchanged the bacteria are hungry and when its all said and done the eggs are directly exposed to this enviroment. Not exactly the best start for something lacking natural immunities for the first few weeks of their new life. Caution you may want to use a old microwave and place it outside or in the garage as the soil will smell while cooking. I hope this helps and I hope I have changed many peoples methods as for the breeders this is a simple step to insure you are on top of your game. Have you ever had hatchlings die a few days after hatching. (Breeders you cant say no if you do your lying) BACTERIA.........

Bsir

I'd assume this probably isn't a bad idea for those of us using playsand as a substrate?

Nice post by the way =]

SkitTer

I would recommend it for all substrates. There is just no way to be sure, unless you proactively ensure it is safe. And don't worry, the temps will never be enough to melt the sand into glass. In case you were worrying about that aspect.

shinedown

Hatchling Member
There was a post a few years ago about doing the same sort of thing in the oven. I couldn't find it though. Do you know what temp the substrate would need to be to ensure sterilization?

spyder79

Extreme Poster
I dont see something quite this drastic as necessary for the substrate that the eggs are laid in. Honestly think about the places these eggs are laid in the wild, by comparison the lay bins we setup are far better. and using a 80/20 organic potting soil to sand mix has always worked well for me. I sift and bake the play sand at 300 degrees in the oven but i do nothing to the potting soil and I do not personally feel anything is necessary. Yes, it is true that some babies just dont make it but that is called survival of the fittest. I think far to many people make week animals survive and then those animals are problematic for the rest of their lives.

Also, I think this would be much better "accepted" if it wasn't written in such a condesending way this line being a perfect example of what you should not type when trying to inform people of something that you think is lacking
Many times I see questions about a female dragon that is gravid and ready to lay eggs. To my astonishment I find people often give the best advice they can and it is really nothing more than unknowledgeable people trying to help when they should remain silent.(Breeders included)

jallenfl

Original Poster
Condescending yes but it is true just do searches on this site alone and don't even bother with any other sites where this topic is discussed. You are correct however on the survival rates in the wild but lets also consider a large percentage will never grow to adults. Other factors are changed when keeping pets and taking a wild creature into captivity for the hobbyist and those breeding for income. Nonetheless if you have the ability to prevent something than that is only a plus. The most important part is that there are large machine equipment used to farm these soils these machines run off hydrolic systems that blow fluids regularly these fluids remain in your store purchased soils long after bagging. A good way to prevent this is to purchase good sources of organic soils from specialty garden centers. I have made this post on other forums in a simple hope to spread a little knowledge. Condescending is simply a way of making am impact on people. You are a perfect example... Thank you.

On another note about the wild, A female dragon also has the freedom to choose her laying spot from not just a few cubic feet but from about thousands of free roaming acres. She can choose to lay in her most comfortable area. This does not also account for unexpected change.I.E. Female lays on what she believes is a nice area. Unexpected rain season drowns all eggs. This is more of what happens more often in the wild. If you consider the natural predators, Injuries, and other tragedies bacteria seem pretty low on the totem pole.

However you are responsible for trapping your dragon in an environment she has no choice in and expect her not to follow natures call. She may very well be fine with laying but given a choice she would search for the perfect spot and you are hindering this in captivity.

On another note I have read much bashing from you spyder and one of these people was a friend of mine. You could most deff. look at things diff. and try helping people. If you contain so much negativity all the time on every subject you must have remarkable knowledge on the correct way to do things. Why are you holding out then? That my friend is condescending are you aware of the diff.?

jallenfl

Original Poster
Shinedown,
Many factors come into play when baking that the microwave kills using 'microwaves' of radiation. In the oven I have heard no less than 300f and this time frame will depending solely on how much is baked at one time and how often you are able to stir/mix the soil to insure even baking. I hope this helps as I was taught to use the microwave and it is my staple way. I have however heard of people baking at crazy temps. You will not have to worry about sand melting to glass or anything like that using either method as temps never get hot enough. Best wishes...

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I may be incorrect, but it seems that this thread was started to get a heated discussion going. Rudeness and bashing is not allowed in this forum and will not be tolerated. A very large portion of the breeders that post info here and spend a lot of time helping others, share their breeding expertise which is very much appreciated by most here. They contribute a lot to this forum for which they unfortunately don't get thanked enough for. If you want this thread to continue, make your posts pleasant, not rude and not condescending to other members or it WILL be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom