Egg binding

Status
Not open for further replies.

foolsgold

Hatchling Member
I was wanting to know how common it is for females who aren't bread to lay eggs? Also how common is it for dragon females to get egg bound while receiving the proper care?
I just lost a female leopard gecko because she became gravid and egg bound even though she hadn't been bread and I am hesitant to get a female dragon as my first BD because I don't want to risk that happening again. I know it's uncommon with leopard geckos but still..... :( it sucked loosing my baby like that.

annlizardlover97

Hatchling Member
How sad:) so sorry 4 ur loss. Idk really how common either circumstance is 4 beardies but I've kept beardies & Uromastyx for 15 years now. I've had 2 female beardies lay eggs, after they were bred, one 4 yrs ago & a baby from that clutch is now laying her own. She's on clutch #3. I can tell u this tho, idk how common egg-binding is (wudnt think it happens all that often) but if I can incubate eggs & have babies, just about anybody can. I'm disabled & it's not taken TOO much work -- more worry than work really! A VERY common a LOT of pple make in breeding their dragons is they want babies so bad & they will try to almost force them to mate way b4 they're ready. They need to be AT LEAST 2 YRS OLD b4 mating. That way, the female is developed enuff to carry her eggs & deliver them w/o problems. Idk if younger dragons get in trouble w/ egg binding simply b/c they're 2 young, but it wudnt surprise me if that was a factor. So make sure when u get ur dragons that they're old enuff to breed & she can carry those eggs safely. Not an expert, but absolutely luv my babies, and am a very enthusiastic owner of these wonderful lizards, so I hope this helped some!

foolsgold

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I am not planing on breeding dragons. I'm just trying to weigh the pros and cons of male vs female. It may seem silly but I am skittish of getting a female because I don't want to risk the same trouble with my dragon as happened w/ the gecko. :oops:

annlizardlover97

Hatchling Member
Ok gotcha! At least ur putting sum serious thot into it b4 just jumping in w/ both feet like a lotta pple do when they buy a lizard on impulse. I can understand ur trepidation at being a little spooked about getting a female since u lost ur female gecko. I won't lie -- it can & does happen but I don't think it's really a common thing for that to occur. If I were u tho, and u just want one lizard and r not planning on breeding, I wud definitely get a male. The chances of a female getting egg bound are slim, but with a male, the chances are zero so to b on the safe side I'd stick w/ a male. For 15 yrs now I've has both male & female dragons and I can honestly say I'm more bonded w/ my males than the females. Idk why. They're very friendly,and I always have sum1 sleeping on my shoulder every night. The males 4 sum reason aren't quite as skittish but I don't wanna give the impression that females aren't friendly either b/c they are. It's just with mine, idk, the males r just sweeter in nature. The females aren't mean or anything like that. Guess I just like the males better! And u get those wonderful head bobs from them that u do also see some in females but just not as much. I'd go with a male!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom