Eating Veggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

natnat

So I have a common question about getting Rango to eat his veggies, he's a year and 3 months old so I know he should transition to more veggies now but he really hates his salads. I've tried adding fruit (he picks it out), dusting with bee pollen, various "salad dressings", and adding bugs but he still won't voluntarily eat salad. Any suggestions on what to do to get him to eat more salad? He gets roaches 3-4 times a week around 10 of the 3/4" at each feeding. I'm worried about doing the "starve him out" method since I feel like he's a little skinny (he's 21 inches long at around 430 grams, I can see his hip bones a little) but I have no other ideas on how to get him to eat more veggies so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So I have a common question about getting Rango to eat his veggies, he's a year and 3 months old so I know he should transition to more veggies now but he really hates his salads. I've tried adding fruit (he picks it out), dusting with bee pollen, various "salad dressings", and adding bugs but he still won't voluntarily eat salad. Any suggestions on what to do to get him to eat more salad? He gets roaches 3-4 times a week around 10 of the 3/4" at each feeding. I'm worried about doing the "starve him out" method since I feel like he's a little skinny (he's 21 inches long at around 430 grams, I can see his hip bones a little) but I have no other ideas on how to get him to eat more veggies so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Get some silk worms www.reptilianarts.com and some hornworms put them on the salads those worms especially the silk stick to everything so when he goes for the silks they will have salad stuck to them- have you tried BSFL? Cut back on the roaches he doesnt need 3-4 times per week we often recommend 2-3 times per week -- post a pic of him please -

NexusGod

I hold my beardie in my hand and with my other hand I sort of press his bottom lip down and it cracks his mouth open and I stick a piece of green in his mouth. Their tongues are sticky so when he investigates or tries to spit it out he almost always eats it. Doesn’t take a lot of pressure to crack the bottom lip on the sides of their face.

Think of it as if you were checking his gums or teeth for mouth rot. It’s totally harmless and mine knows I’m doing it because he hates greens stubbornly. Also stick blueberry pieces directly hard pressed to pieces of greens so when he eats the blueberry piece, it’s stuck to the green. Blueberry cut up almost looks like bugs and they almost always investigate. They typically can’t pick up the blueberry without the green. Also try different greens not just collards. Also try different squashes.

I will be making a video here shortly on how I force feed greens.

natnat

Original Poster
Get some silk worms www.reptilianarts.com and some hornworms put them on the salads those worms especially the silk stick to everything so when he goes for the silks they will have salad stuck to them- have you tried BSFL? Cut back on the roaches he doesnt need 3-4 times per week we often recommend 2-3 times per week -- post a pic of him please -
I attached a picture of him- I'll try some silkworms, I have tried BSFL with him before but they kinda freaked me out because he didn't digest any of them and pooped them right out but I guess I can give them another shot. I can cut back protein to 2-3 x a week, about how many bugs do you recommend per feeding? Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 10.55.25 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 10.55.25 AM.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 102

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I attached a picture of him- I'll try some silkworms, I have tried BSFL with him before but they kinda freaked me out because he didn't digest any of them and pooped them right out but I guess I can give them another shot. I can cut back protein to 2-3 x a week, about how many bugs do you recommend per feeding? Thanks
He looks good --- if the BSFL were coming out undigested either your basking temps were off or most likely he was eating them too fast - try them again but feed limited amounts at a time on his salad - slow him down on eating them - if they eat them too fast hes not chewing them up and swallowing them whole -- put the dubias in the salad bowl - put in like 4 large or what ever size hes eating - you will need a taller bowl so they cant get out ceramic or glass one and even then they may get out mine do but I still put them in the bowl -- some escape -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom