Eating calcium powder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fay789

So I recently found out my baby is a girl. She is seven and a half months old. Now the thing is, she eats her calcium powder plain and I was wondering if this was unusual and if it means she is deficient in calcium, or maybe getting ready to lay eggs?

Basically I usually pour a little pile of calcium on her food rock and dip her worms in it before I tweezer them to her, so when I was done feeding her I would just leave whatever was left of the calcium on her food rock. Frequently I will come home and find powder all over her nose and beard, which I first thought was just from her walking through it, but then I saw her eat it! She will take about four licks of powder in a row, so I dont think it's just her normal exploring licks either. Is this normal?

From what I've read, some dragons just seem to like the taste of calcium powder. Haku will sometimes take a few extra licks of it from his feeding dish even after all his insects are gone.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah it's somewhat common from what I've read. I guess they like the taste of it. If she doesn't get into too much it shouldn't cause any issues.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Puff loved the taste of the stuff, he'd lick it off his greens and off my fingers when I was handfeeding his crickets to him. I think Rex prefers her crickets with Ca on them, so do Peppa and Toothless.
Water skinks : Lucky and Wriggles also loved the taste of it .... went bonkers for it.
Bluetongue skinks : George and Mildred were crazy for it's taste too, not so much now or since they became full grown adult bluetongues.

I think it's one of those things where they know it's good for them (birds will eat CaO and MgO rich clays for the same reasons) and some really love the taste of it.

Think of it like humans and how yummy savoury tastes like salt & vinegar , chicken salt on chips , and similar are to us.

Fay789

Original Poster
That makes a lot of sense. Or like how we give horses and other large animals salt licks and they literally lick the salt. It just seemed to me like eating plain dry powder would taste terrible, but I guess not , haha

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Fay789":g2btb1as said:
That makes a lot of sense. Or like how we give horses and other large animals salt licks and they literally lick the salt. It just seemed to me like eating plain dry powder would taste terrible, but I guess not , haha

I am pretty sure lizards in general don't care for the taste of reptile vitamin powder mixes .... my observation over the years with skinks and dragons is they have to be REAL hungry to eat greens and salad veg with the vitamin powder sprinkled over it , I've bluetongues, water skinks and bearded dragons refuse to eat greens and salad veg with only the vitamin powder on it - reason why I took to mixing the calcium powder with calcium powder (1:1) , they don't seem to mind it so much then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom