Early brumation!

Jackie...BD!

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Jackie
Remember your doing this slowly but eventually you should get to only feeding 1-2 times a week. Start tomorrow or today and only feed twice a day. 2 days after tomorrow go to 1 time a day. Then 2 days after that day go to every other day and just keep on lowering it.
I just think she's still young 8-9 months old maximum. Wanted to do twice a day until she's turn 1 years old. Something like that.

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
You want to start transition around 7-8 months old. You will still feed veggies everyday but definitely need to start cutting back those bugs now.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She's nice + lean, nowhere near obese. Your feeding schedule is fine for an 8 month old growing beardie. Once she's over a year you can definitely cut back though.

Jackie...BD!

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Jackie
She's nice + lean, nowhere near obese. Your feeding schedule is fine for an 8 month old growing beardie. Once she's over a year you can definitely cut back though.
Thanks, how about my concern about brumation? Do you think she can start experiencing it that early? After I feed her greens today around 2 p.m. she basked like 10 minutes and went under the log and not moving.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She should be fine. They all have different behavior as large sub adults when they feel a change of season. Some may bask less often + tuck away under something, others might sleep off + on for a few days at a time , etc. I doubt she'll do a full brumation.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's not uncommon for a dragon that is basically adult size (despite its age) to brumate or semi-brumate. IME, the size of the dragon plays just as big a role as the age of the dragon when determining when the first brumation will start.

-Brandon

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
Oh, I was told so many different things ;-; I was told that at 7 months to cut back and that 500 is obese for a sub adult ugh

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hazer that can be correct if the dragon is already getting pretty fat but since all dragons are different, like growing kids , you tailor it to what their size + metabolism is. A 20" dragon is usually good at 500 grams. Like some kids can be 6'4 at 16 and others might be 5'6 or 5'7. There would be a huge difference in their average weight .

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
Hazer that can be correct if the dragon is already getting pretty fat but since all dragons are different, like growing kids , you tailor it to what their size + metabolism is. A 20" dragon is usually good at 500 grams. Like some kids can be 6'4 at 16 and others might be 5'6 or 5'7. There would be a huge difference in their average weight .
Oh ok

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinny2010b
Top Bottom