Early brumation!

Jackie...BD!

Beardie name(s)
Jackie
Hello everyone, I have a concern about my beardie girl. She's 8 month old and she start spending more time on the coolest side of the enclosure and basking less. I'll attach the picture of my setup. On the photo she's basking, but now most of the day she is laying on that high wood decor near hammock. May be she's prefer that decor on the cooler side more than her basking brick and I should switch the basking side. She's eating pretty normal in the morning her bugs but not going to bask after. She's still going to bathroom every day when I taking her out. 2 days ago she spent almost whole day in the cave. She's pretty good size and looks healthy for her age, but still is that OK if she'll go brumation now. Should I stop feeding her and leave her alone?

Attachments

• 20230815_183756.jpg
    20230815_183756.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 158

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
Hello everyone, I have a concern about my beardie girl. She's 8 month old and she start spending more time on the coolest side of the enclosure and basking less. I'll attach the picture of my setup. On the photo she's basking, but now most of the day she is laying on that high wood decor near hammock. May be she's prefer that decor on the cooler side more than her basking brick and I should switch the basking side. She's eating pretty normal in the morning her bugs but not going to bask after. She's still going to bathroom every day when I taking her out. 2 days ago she spent almost whole day in the cave. She's pretty good size and looks healthy for her age, but still is that OK if she'll go brumation now. Should I stop feeding her and leave her alone?
I don’t deal with brumation much so I don’t know the age they start but still offer food as long as she’s eating it. What is your basking temperature? May be to hot. How much does she weigh and how long is she?

Jackie...BD!

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Jackie
I feed 2- 3 times a day. Lately twice. In the morning 7-10 dubia roches. In the day time bowl of leaves(turnip, escarole,mustard,dendeloin) and some BSFL. Some super worms and meal worms here and there. Today have some silk worms I'll feed afternoon with salad .

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
I feed 2- 3 times a day. Lately twice. In the morning 7-10 dubia roches. In the day time bowl of leaves(turnip, escarole,mustard,dendeloin) and some BSFL. Some super worms and meal worms here and there. Today have some silk worms I'll feed afternoon with salad .
Ok your beardie is going to become obese like that. She is at the 8 month mark meaning she should be eating more greens then worms. Start cutting back ALOT slowly. Don’t feed 3 times a day anymore. Slowly go down to once a day to every other day and then eventually 2 times a week/1 time a week. You need to put in salad early morning and leave it there all day so they can eat it whenever

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
Ok your beardie is going to become obese like that. She is at the 8 month mark meaning she should be eating more greens then worms. Start cutting back ALOT slowly. Don’t feed 3 times a day anymore. Slowly go down to once a day to every other day and then eventually 2 times a week/1 time a week. You need to put in salad early morning and leave it there all day so they can eat it whenever
She should not weight 500 already. Please send a picture of her

Jackie...BD!

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Jackie
Those was taken 2 weeks ago. She doesn't look fat! Just a big)

Attachments

• 20230825_163613.jpg
    20230825_163613.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 20230821_133205.jpg
    20230821_133205.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 51

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
Remember your doing this slowly but eventually you should get to only feeding 1-2 times a week. Start tomorrow or today and only feed twice a day. 2 days after tomorrow go to 1 time a day. Then 2 days after that day go to every other day and just keep on lowering it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom