Dying beardie, don't think he's going to make it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashburn

My original thread is here:
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=220095&p=1710129#p1710129

Since then I've taken him to the vet and after feeding him through a syringe I was able to get enough of a fecal sample that they found Coccidia and prescribed him Ponazuril for 28 days. I gave him his first dose yesterday, and when I got home today, I found him laying on his tile floor with his mouth agape and eyes barely open. I honestly thought he was already dead.

Now every once and a while he will pick his head up high and gasp for air and then put his head back down. I tried picking him up, but he was so frail and limp, I felt like it would do more harm than good. Is there anything I should do at this point? I'm guessing I shouldn't give him his medication or give him a bath since he is so weak? It's so terrible that he's in such obvious pain and there's nothing I can seemingly do about it.

Does anyone have any advice?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor guy. If he's in that kind of shape the medication may do more harm than good. I also think that a 28 day regimen of Ponazuril seems a bit longer than usual. From what I've read that's usually only a one or two dose medication. How much did you told to give him per dose? I'd hold off on it for now and offer him drops of water on his nose as you'd been doing. Hold him and try to make him comfortable and try to ensure he's getting all of the water he wants (don't be forceful with it, but make it available to him via drops).

Have his urates been tinted any color besides white? The weight loss, possible dehydration, and frequent urate release makes me think there may be something up with his kidneys but that's an uneducated guess on my part. A blood test would shed some light on that theory but I wouldn't consider that until he regains some strength. As I mentioned, I'd try to make him as comfortable as possible and ensure he has adequate hydration for the time being.

flashburn

Original Poster
He's urate has been mostly white, sometimes some of it was yellow. They did a blood test and uric acid was high, but she said that may of been because of him starving himself.

Unfortunately I think he just passed. Really sucks. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be getting another dragon, there just aren't enough knowledgeable vet's in my area.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Aw poor guy. I'm sorry to hear that =(. With the elevated uric acid levels it sound like he was having kidney issues to me. I've seen similar symptoms with dehydration and frequent urate. It could have been dietary but I'd guess the kidney issues started, he wasn't feeling well and was getting dehydrated, and wasn't eating because he didn't feel well rather than the other way around. I know it doesn't make it any easier, but you did the best you could for him.

flashburn

Original Poster
Thanks. I'm still glad I took him in and at least had tests done and at least know what likely killed him. I'm just wondering if it was the Coccidia that led to the kidney issues. I was always sure to bathe him several times a week, and his urate never looked like he was dehydrated. Wishing I took him in sooner, but these guys are so hard to figure out what's wrong. At first I just thought he was stressed because of the move, then I thought he was being stubborn about eating his veggies since he was mostly fine (just a little lethargic), it also seemed like maybe he was going to brumate.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think it's possible for coccidia to infect kidneys but the coccidia may have been a red herring in this case unless the levels were quite high. Again that's just an uneducated guess based on reading and the experience I've had with my dragons (one died from renal failure as well). I don't have any medical training so take it with a grain of salt. I'm glad you had the tests done as well. It gave you an idea of what was going on even if it was untreatable. You gave the best care you could and that's all that can be expected. They are designed to hide signs of illness as a defense mechanism and they're quite good at it, so often it's too late to help once you notice something is wrong.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry that he passed so suddenly like that, being so young, too! :cry: Since he did have coccidia that may have affected his kidneys, but I don't think to the point of that anyway. Dehydration will cause an elevated uric acid level, but if it was really high then he may have been developing gout.
I am seeing an increasing number of gout cases & I am starting to think that the years of inbreeding people have been doing is catching up with this species. It is very unfortunate. I am sorry for your loss. They are so good at masking their health problems.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom