Ducky the Rescue Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruso

I work at a local pet supply store, and about three months ago a woman came in complaining about a bearded dragon she had purchased for her son. She had said she didn't want to take care of it anymore and that it hadn't eaten in a while. She mentioned that she "hoped the thing would just die" but that they must be very hardy because it wouldn't, so she bought ten crickets. I offered to take the beardie off of her hands and give it a good home. She shrugged her shoulders and left the store.

On Monday (October 15th) I received a phone call at my work from the same woman asking me if I was still interested in taking the beardie. I said of course and she brought her to me yesterday. When she dropped her off I asked some questions, to which I got no answers other than it hadn't had a heat bulb in some time (instead had a heating pad stuck on the side of the tank), hadn't eaten in a while, and was named 'Bob'. When they left I immediately took her out, cleaned her tank, put a heat lamp on her, and literally had to prop her up on a basking area. She could not lift herself.

I gave her an examination, weighed her, tested her vision, etc. and here is what I've found:
- she is not a he named Bob :p
- she is a very sweet girl
- two burns (one on right shoulder, one on left front leg)
- extremely thin (19" long and only 260g)
- signs of MBD (spongy jaw, legs, and spine)
- old stuck on shed
- trouble co-ordinating movements

She now has heat, UV, caloric supplement, liquid calcium, electrolytes, phoenix worms, and veggies. I haven't given her the worms yet as I don't want to over do it. She ate three crickets, a bite of butternut squash with the supplements on it and was full. She's now sleeping after the big meal.

Untitled by Shayna Hartley, on Flickr

Nice clean environment to get healthy in. :)

Thank you for reading her story. :)

Hemilover77

Juvie Member
Awwww....poor little girl, I am so glad that you got her. I am sure your will fatten her up in no time. So sad that people can be so cruel. Do they think that animals don't feel hungar pains, or feel lonely, or feel neglect? So sad..... Thanks to you for taking her in and giving her love. Everything grows well with love.

Momswims1

Juvie Member
I have very mixed feelings after reading that. How can people justify starving an animal and waiting for it to die? Ducky must really want to live. What an amazing little dragon. I am so glad you were there and heard the woman talking about her. Wow.... I don't understand some people at all.
Best wishes to you and Ducky. Keep us posted. Her eyes speak volumes, don't they?

Cruso

Original Poster
It took all I had not to tell this woman off. But being at work I really couldn't.
Ducky ate 6 Phoenix worms today, had some electrolytes, and is going for a vet visit on Wednesday morning. I will post updates for those who are interested.

Momswims1

Juvie Member
My beardies lost a lot of weight when they had coccidia and I was really scared, but now that they are eating, Rosie is already looking chubby again after just 9 days of eating, so here is hoping that Ducky will be fat and happy soon. Can't wait to see a picture of her in a month or so.

Hemilover77

Juvie Member
Yea...her story is just unbearable. But you can tell in the first pic she has a very sweet face. Alot of times animals that have been through something like that become the very best pets. It is almost like they know you are trying to help them, and become grateful. I agree I can't wait to see her pics in a month, I am sure you will fatten her up soon. Poor girl. I hope with all things considered that you get a good report at the vet.

What kind of person says they wished she would just die. I read your post before, but I had to come back and read it a second time, and with every read I get more upset. Poor little lucky Ducky (lucky to have found you). No animal deserves to live that fate, and it makes me ashamed that woman is part of the same human race that I am. I have a live and let live lifestyle, the golden rule, do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and I think about if the roles were reversed that a gentle dragon wouldn't allow a human to set in a tank cold and hungry from months saying I wish you would just die already. Their hearts are too big. Maybe someday that woman will find her heart, we can only hope. In the mean time, you are doing a great thing, my hat is off to you! I wish you and Ducky the very best! Give us an update after the vet.

Cruso

Original Poster
We just got back from Ducky's appointment and everything I suspected was true. She is obviously malnourished and has early stages of MBD, but other than that got a clean bill of health. She weighed in at 280g so she has gained 20g in the past few days. He dewormed her for me for free and said to come back in two weeks for another check up and deworming at no charge. :)

Momswims1

Juvie Member
Ducky is one tough little survivor. Please give her a little nose rub for me. She may just make a full recovery. Who knows? Anyway she knows she is loved now.

Hemilover77

Juvie Member
I think Ducky's little face is so precious! Sounds like you have a vet that really cares. She looks happy despite what's she has been through. I am sure you will have her fattened up in no time. Thanks so much for the update and the pic. We are all pulling for you Ducky...can't wait to see you have some beardie booty on ya!!!!

TJinPgh

Does the ASPCA only deal with cats and dogs? Is there an equivalent organization that cares for abused reptiles?

Cruso

Original Poster
I am in Ontario, Canada. So we have the OSPCA here and I think some shelters do take in reptiles but none in my area. I was more than happy to take her. :)

Cruso

Original Poster

Ducky went to the bathroom twice yesterday, it was undigested mealworms from her previous owners. Today she ate 10 phoenix worms, greens, 4 crickets, and 5cc of pureed green beans/blueberries mixed with her caloric supplement. She really took a liking to the slurry. :)

Hemilover77

Juvie Member
Yayyy !!!! Ducky.... Eat eat eat!!!!! She is looking better to me... Like she is more alert! You just wait once she gets healthy and has seen how you love her, you two will be inseparable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heidib715
Top Bottom