Dubia Temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Just curious, how does everyone measure the temps in their dubia bins? Im not sure if mine are correct. I've been measuring the heating pad at around 95, does this mean the bottom inside of the bin will be that temp? Or do I need to put my heat pad on a higher setting? Its on low right now. Also, is the temp on the bottom of the bin the temp that matters? Because my dubia are very rarely on the bottom, they're always in the egg crates.

Any tips would be really appreciated! :)

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
To be honest, I don't even directly measure the temps of the bins. I watch the dubias. If they are all huddled over the heat (usually winter behavior) I'll increase the heat - either add another heat pad or increase the wattage on their heat light. If they are as far away from the heat as they can get (summertime), then I turn down or turn off the heat. If they're evenly spread out, chowing food, and readily reproducing, temps are just right!

-Jen

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
So you have two heat sources for one bin? And my dubia are always in the egg crates. I know they must eat because foods missing, but I never actually see any on that side of the bin. Im using a heating pad meant for humans on the bottom of one side, and I keep it on low. Is this enough heat for a 28 gal bin with about 1,500 dubia? Ive only had them for about 3 weeks so I can't tell yet if they're breeding.

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
In the winter I may use 2 heat sources; often instead I'll just set them on top of my skink enclosures in combination with their heat pad, and that keeps them warm enough.

If they're active, scurrying around, and readily feeding, sounds to me like you've got it right. 95 might be a bit warm to the touch but if they aren't avoiding it entirely, it's probably just fine.

All in all, just remember one thing: These are roaches, after all! They'll survive ANYTHING. :) Sounds like your setup is pretty much dubia roach heaven; keep em fed and watch the babies start pouring out!

-Jen

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
They seem to eat the chow less since I started putting in more fruit, is this normal? They'll usually eat a half orange in a day, down to just the peel.

Im just really hoping for a successful colony. :)

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
These thins will do fine as long as it's not too cold IMO. I guess anything from 80-90 degree is fine. i never had problems with my dubia diying.

IvoryWhite

Hatchling Member
Paradon":3ae7alom said:
These thins will do fine as long as it's not too cold IMO. I guess anything from 80-90 degree is fine. i never had problems with my dubia diying.

what is IMO

Badmojomn

When the temps are cooler out, I put a very small aq heat pad, on the side where their hiding crates are, not the bottem. I think that's to hot, in my opinion. As soon as I did this, I saw multiple babies every few days. I put squash, carrot, cellery soaked in water, plain cherios (which they love), water gels, sometimes, not all the time, a chunk of orange, but, that's citrus, and this might upset beardy tummy.
I keep my dubias dark also, they seem to like that. Well vented.
The spagetti squash keeps for a long time in the fridge wrapped up, and they do seem to like this the best, or butternut squash.

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
You use no heat source in the summer? I still need my heat pad, even now. I keep my bin in the garage and it's always cool in there from the AC in the house.

Brieana

Hatchling Member
I got my shipment of dubias yesterday and am heating their tub with a small reptile heat pad. I measured the temp on the plastic right next to the heat and it's about 95f. This morning, they were all huddled on the floor around it. I want to add another heat source and the easiest would be a heat lamp. Since they're noctournal, won't the lamp disrupt their sleep patterns? If I'm going to use a lamp, I may as well just leave the tub out on our sun porch during the day and take electricity out of the equation.

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
No, you don't want to use a heat lamp. You would be better off using a CHE because it emits no light, only heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angiemeyer8561
Top Bottom