Dubia roaches

Jes

Beardie name(s)
Obidiah
I just switched Obidiah to dubias. He is 1 yr. And 1 month old, 465 grams and 19 1/2" long. I have been told by one fellow owner to feed him 10 a day and by another to only feed him 4 or 5 a day. Both said to get the large size (3/4"). He LOVES them and will stand around after I feed him hoping for more. I am giving him 8-10 a day but am looking for more guidance. What are your opinions on how much I should feed him daily - tia Jes

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I just switched Obidiah to dubias. He is 1 yr. And 1 month old, 465 grams and 19 1/2" long. I have been told by one fellow owner to feed him 10 a day and by another to only feed him 4 or 5 a day. Both said to get the large size (3/4"). He LOVES them and will stand around after I feed him hoping for more. I am giving him 8-10 a day but am looking for more guidance. What are your opinions on how much I should feed him daily - tia Jes
He only needs insects 2-3 times per week - is he eating salads and other worms like super butterworms mealworms or horn worms?

Jes

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Obidiah
He gets horn worms as a very occasional treat and he is pretty resistant to salads most days. If he gets the roaches just 2 or 3 times a week how many should he have on those days?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He gets horn worms as a very occasional treat and he is pretty resistant to salads most days.
Ok so he needs to start w/ salads - I would not let him eat so many roaches - one they can cause gout they are high in uric acid and two hes going to gain a lot more weight- limit the roaches start feeding salads
Nutrition Content
ignore the kale info it is out dated and its a really good staple
offer super worms meal worms and horn worms those are a good hydrating worm - if you need a lure to that salad bowl you can feed him BSFL www.symtonbsf.com order large - they are another good staple feeder - but I would cut the amount of roaches your feeding --
Amazon.com
heres a salad bowl thats good for the BSFL that will keep them in the bowl

Jes

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Obidiah
Ok so he needs to start w/ salads - I would not let him eat so many roaches - one they can cause gout they are high in uric acid and two hes going to gain a lot more weight- limit the roaches start feeding salads
Nutrition Content
ignore the kale info it is out dated and its a really good staple
offer super worms meal worms and horn worms those are a good hydrating worm - if you need a lure to that salad bowl you can feed him BSFL www.symtonbsf.com order large - they are another good staple feeder - but I would cut the amount of roaches your feeding --
Amazon.com
heres a salad bowl thats good for the BSFL that will keep them in the bowl
OK thank you so much!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
As Karrieree mentioned, try to incorporate other insects into his diet. There has been a TON of beardies developing gout on the forum and at younger ages. Dubias can be far and away the biggest contributors. If they are fed a high protein food they become an even bigger contributor. They store uric acid they way mammals store fat (to be used in lean time as energy) it takes a long time of keeping them off protein to bring the level of ua back down. They are still a good feeder but they shouldn't be the only feeder you use, as far as that goes no feeder should be used exclusively.

Jes

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Obidiah
As Karrieree mentioned, try to incorporate other insects into his diet. There has been a TON of beardies developing gout on the forum and at younger ages. Dubias can be far and away the biggest contributors. If they are fed a high protein food they become an even bigger contributor. They store uric acid they way mammals store fat (to be used in lean time as energy) it takes a long time of keeping them off protein to bring the level of ua back down. They are still a good feeder but they shouldn't be the only feeder you use, as far as that goes no feeder should be used exclusively.
Thank you, I was worried about gout but had the understanding that dubias were the best protein source for beardies. Now that I know he should only be fed insects 2-3 days a week I am wondering if the schedule for supplements should also be changed. I have been giving him calcium without D3 4 days a week, with D3 1 day a week and reptivitami s 2 days a week. Should I cut back on those?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you, I was worried about gout but had the understanding that dubias were the best protein source for beardies. Now that I know he should only be fed insects 2-3 days a week I am wondering if the schedule for supplements should also be changed. I have been giving him calcium without D3 4 days a week, with D3 1 day a week and reptivitami s 2 days a week. Should I cut back on those?
If he's a salad eater you won't need the reptivitamin so often- the D 3 once a week and the other 2 days w/ out

Jes

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Obidiah
He really does not like the salads, he will only eat a small amount each day and has gone many days without eating any of it. I put bee pollen on it but that makes no difference, I tried putting dubias in it and he picks them out and leaves the rest. I will try bsf when I get them, any other tips would be greatly appreciated

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He really does not like the salads, he will only eat a small amount each day and has gone many days without eating any of it. I put bee pollen on it but that makes no difference, I tried putting dubias in it and he picks them out and leaves the rest. I will try bsf when I get them, any other tips would be greatly appreciated
Let me know how the BSFL go --- if hes eating the salads on and off that is better than none -- I would take one of the days w/ out D3 and use the vitamins you have

Jes

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Obidiah
Let me know how the BSFL go --- if hes eating the salads on and off that is better than none -- I would take one of the days w/ out D3 and use the vitamins you have
Finally got the bsfl, put some in his salad and he did end up eating some salad with the worms, but when the worms were gone he was done eating. How many of the bsfl should I be giving him? I did order large but they are still pretty small. Do I put them in his salad daily? Thanks for any and all advice!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Finally got the bsfl, put some in his salad and he did end up eating some salad with the worms, but when the worms were gone he was done eating. How many of the bsfl should I be giving him? I did order large but they are still pretty small. Do I put them in his salad daily? Thanks for any and all advice!
Yes do 20-25 at a time keep adding till he's done eating - you can add roaches after he's eaten some of his salad

Jjurovaty

Photo Comp Winner
I've always used kale..this is my 3rd beardie. Had each since babies and my last lived to be 12+ years. All of them loved kale..I offer Kale with a variety of other veggies and fruits each day. After he's has some of that I will give the insects. Meal worms are easy to keep and easy to eat because they're not as quick. Just keep pushing the fruit and veggies. Like kids, if they're hungry they will eat. Don't let them win and give in for just what they want lol! I only offer like 5 medium dubias a day at most. But I rotate with crickets at meal worms and use the dubias as a treat.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mangomom
Top Bottom