Dubia Roaches or Discoid Roach ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris00144

looking into starting a roach colony dont really no if i should start a dubia or discoid colony i have a 12in bearded about 5months now growing almost an inch a week trying to figure out witch is better for her any suggestions thankss ?

Cinder9

Juvie Member
Dubias all the way. They breed faster and dont emit a smell when theyre scared. I believe theyre also slightly healthier to feed too.

chris00144

Original Poster
ha ha im guessing dubias are they way to go thanks. Should i start off with a bunch of adults or get a mix ?

Cinder9

Juvie Member
If you want to start feeding them off right away get a mix, otherwise you can get some females and a couple of males and watch the magic happen.

chris00144

Original Poster
lol ill get a bunch of adults then. Let the magic happen start up a small colony lol .. wheres the best place to get them i live in ny

Cinder9

Juvie Member
I think roachesrus.com is pretty reasonable but theres alot of different places and i havent checked them all out in a while. Make sure you get more females than males, like a 1:5 or 2:5 ratio to get things going faster.

suzuki4life

Juvie Member
Cinder9":1u447zzr said:
Dubias all the way. They breed faster and dont emit a smell when theyre scared. I believe theyre also slightly healthier to feed too.

bad information.

Discoids breed just as fast and do not have a defensive odor. They actually grow faster to a larger size but maturity rate is on par with dubia.

My vote is discoid.

Only downfall to discoid is that they are harder to sex.

Buy a breeding set and let them grow. Use what you need as you need them.

Cinder9

Juvie Member
It is not bad info whatsoever, when they are disturbed they DO emit an odor. i never said it was defensive, some people actually like it. dubias DO breed faster because discoids sometimes take a while to get going while dubias dont. discoids also breed easier when not disturbed. if you want extra info go here, viewtopic.php?f=76&t=127035&start=0

Cinder9

Juvie Member
No one smells their roaches like that and you dont need to in order to smell it. They dont do it all the time either. Thousands of people will agree to this as it is a fact.

Cinder9":2nge7gxt said:
I think roachesrus.com is pretty reasonable but theres alot of different places and i havent checked them all out in a while. Make sure you get more females than males, like a 1:5 or 2:5 ratio to get things going faster.

Hopefully this guy takes care of you better than he has taken care of his previous customers. i am still waiting on my order from August that has been paid for but only received half of. But I doubt i ever see the rest of that order.

I would suggest the following site http://www.gregsexoticinverts.com/ He has never screwed anyone out of their order and always gives way more than you actually order. i think he is even cheaper as well.

and here is an e-mail exert.....

Yes I had meant to tell you that, but I stared some more colonies and I am just beat these past few days. I am glad to hear you go them ok, I will throw in a few more females to make it up to you for not recieving all your order. The reason being is the bins I have marked as large didnt really look that large enough to me and I felt it would have been bad to have sent you those.

I told you, that you wouldn't get dead one's for me. Well if it's not asking too much, if you can put some good words in for me on where you say my ad. I am on beardeddragon.org and faunaclassifieds as well and a few others. My id is - roachesrus.

Well SSgt. Young it has been a pleasure and an honor in helping you out and I hope I have earned your trust. And from one Marine to an other, I want to say thank you for your dedication to our country.

Siemper Fi

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Joshua Young <[email protected]> wrote:
I received the roaches today. All looks good....not many doa (just 4 cant complain there)

100+ small (thanks for the generous over count)
135 medium/lrg
9 females (1 died in transit so 8) Can be expected.

Just to be clear that I should be receiving another shipment sometime next week for the remaining 115 med/lrg roaches + any over count.

thanks .................

yeah and I am still waiting for that shipment and it is 5 months later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom