Dubia Roaches Loose in my house!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoshenMom

I purchased 25 Dubias from the local mom and pop pet store to feed my Beardie and Blue Tongue. I had them in a small tub all set up with food, water, warmth. My dog set them free this morning...in my living room!

I live in New England, keep my house around 65 degrees. The dubias are male and female adults and I am worried they are going to infest my house. What should I do?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They aren't likely to cause a problem as they are tropical roaches and require high heat and humidity to really colonize. If they are loose in one room, I would try to lure them using a ceramic heat emitter to create a warm spot over some paper towel tubes. I'd also put down some food. Orange slices on a plate near the warm spot should do. If the light in the room is turned down or off for a while this is likely to attract them if they are still nearby.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
They will gravitate to a warm dark place - set up a trap like Cooper suggests. If you use a bowl or something and make a ramp then they can't get out. I find my roaches tract much faster to squash than oranges and would use squash and some old fruit (plums are popular in mymtanm too).

Unfortunately they are pretty tough and can go months without food water or heat :/ they aren't likely to breed with much vigor though. Good luck.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
^Squash is another popular one. My roaches also go for bananas. They'll take out a whole banana, peel & all leaving only the sticker within an hour or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom