dubia problems.. please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my dubias a few days ago with 250 small and 1 breeding pair. I put them in the bin with a heating pad, egg cartons, food and water crystals. Today, when I went to check on them I noticed the adult male has not moved since yesterday. I am pretty sure it is dead. I cant start my colony without it and I dont want any others to die!
A few questions..
1. Why aren't they eating any food?
2. How much water do water crystals hold?
3. Will the humidity be sufficient with the water crystals in there?
4. How long will it take for the small ones to grow up and start breeding?

Please reply, I dont want to spend any more money on crickets

Poke

1. What are you feeding your roaches? I feed my colony chicken feed/mash with monkey chow
2. Well 1oz of water crystal can be a gallon of water when mixed.
3. Yes it will be enough but I also spray about once a week inside my roach bin for extra humidity
4. If you have smalls it can take from 3-5 months. Just depends on how much they eat and what your temperature is.

BlueDevil

Hatchling Member
Would you be able to post a picture of your set up, it would maybe give us a better insight on how everything is set up.

Poke

Ill take some pictures tomorrow of you guys on my setup and what i use to feed and what i use to heat my colony.

underrwaterrx

Original Poster
sorry can't do pictures right now :/ camera issues
i'll try to explain..
it's a green storage bin with a 9x9 in hole in the top with screen
egg cartons stacked vertically on the heated side
lids for food and water.

I'm feeding them the roach chow I got when I ordered from The Roach Guy

Chow still looks like it hasn't been touched.

BlueDevil

Hatchling Member
Hey no problem. I'm new to Dubias myself but bought a lot of adult roaches back in March and had them up and running by early April. I didn't have my bearded dragon till a month ago (end of July) I had a good 3 1/2 month head start for my colony to take off and I'm feeding out of the bin, tons of babies and nymphs.

When I first started my I was concerned that they didn't know where the roach chow or water crystals were. I think it took them a good week or even two before they found it? I'm only heating just a little over half of my bin (which is approx just over the egg crates) the food and water crystals are on the cool side. I think it took them awhile for them to find my roach chow as well (I'm currently using Fluker's Cricket Diet and/or sometimes I'll throw in some grounded up cat food). My bin is being heated with a human heating pad connected to a Herpstat Pro and set to 90 degrees. I also rotate apples, oranges, pears and carrots as well. Make sure you toss them after a couple of days so mold doesn't settle unless of course the roaches are completely eating them. One of the most important things I have found is don't disturb your roaches unless you have to pop the lid to add food/water crystals etc. etc. keep them in a dark place. IMO, if you want to be feeding out of your colony you will have to be patient and or if you have some extra $$$ purchase a few more breeding pairs to help.

P.S. I check my bin by shining a low intensity LED flashlight through the screen top to quickly check the bin I only open it to add/remove food. Anyhow this is just one guy's experience and so far it is working for me but hopefully more people can chime in as well! Best of luck!

Warrior

Hatchling Member
I had a feeling mine wasn't eating at first, then I tried them with two halves of an orange....jesus christ, they demolished it!!! :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom