Dubia Pee/Poo suddenly smells TERRIBLE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
Hey everyone, maybe someone can help me with this. I've had a dubia colony (20 females/5 males + a few hundred mix sized nymphs) for about a month now. I recently started feeding them a mix of Harmonic Pets Roach Chow plus BeardedDragon.co Nutritional Gutload Chow. I was supplying water through damp paper towels, but I guess it wasn't nearly enough because I just switched to the water gel/crystals and they went through like half a cup in one day! Anyway, since I started the water gel the roaches' poo/pee (is it the same?) just smells terrible! Even when I only put like 30 of them in a cup for feeding, the smell of their excrement is overwhelming within a few minutes. Their poo used to look dark and dry but now it looks lighter and more wet. Is this actually normal & they were just dehydrated before the water gel? Or could this be a sign of something to worry about like parasites???

Cowabunga

Hatchling Member
XtinaLotusMonster":3fp22jj3 said:
Hey everyone, maybe someone can help me with this. I've had a dubia colony (20 females/5 males + a few hundred mix sized nymphs) for about a month now. I recently started feeding them a mix of Harmonic Pets Roach Chow plus BeardedDragon.co Nutritional Gutload Chow. I was supplying water through damp paper towels, but I guess it wasn't nearly enough because I just switched to the water gel/crystals and they went through like half a cup in one day! Anyway, since I started the water gel the roaches' poo/pee (is it the same?) just smells terrible! Even when I only put like 30 of them in a cup for feeding, the smell of their excrement is overwhelming within a few minutes. Their poo used to look dark and dry but now it looks lighter and more wet. Is this actually normal & they were just dehydrated before the water gel? Or could this be a sign of something to worry about like parasites???

Wet in = wet out.. So if you don't want to contend with the smell (which wont go away since it soaks into the egg flats) then stick with a dry diet and only add water/crystals for humidity. (put it in something they can't get into..)

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Cowabunga":1b3j4bj1 said:
Wet in = wet out.. So if you don't want to contend with the smell (which wont go away since it soaks into the egg flats) then stick with a dry diet and only add water/crystals for humidity. (put it in something they can't get into..)

Then what would their water source be...?

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Try fruits like Cantaloupe, which they adore, and some veggies like carrots, romaine lettuce and escarole. They actually makes their poop smells sweet. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom