Dubia no longer in egg crates since adding heat....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisMiller

Hatchling Member
Has anyone else experienced this? I added some flex watt heat tape to the outside back wall of my tubs and it turns and also goes under the tub. I have it set to about 94 which keeps the tub at around 85 1/2 way down the tub. What I am finding now is that the roaches have literally abandoned their egg crates and they all just pile up at the back corner of the tub in the warmest spot. So much so, that i have noticed a smell and found a number of dead ones back there recently.

I've turned the heat off for now thinking I am killing them, but I wouldn't think they would stay where its too hot (if it even is) with the rest of the tub to utilize.

I know raising these things can't be too difficult, I am just trying to find a "set and forget it" method so that I can move them out into the garage soon and just kinda forget about them. I don't want it to be wrong and then lose them.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cowabunga

Hatchling Member
What I have seen is when a bin isn't properly warmed all over that they will migrate to one spot and in doing so will suffocate those on the bottom of the pile so to speak. They die and then they sort of just roast right there and yes it is a horrible stench.

ChrisMiller

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Cowabunga":2nu0ew2a said:
What I have seen is when a bin isn't properly warmed all over that they will migrate to one spot and in doing so will suffocate those on the bottom of the pile so to speak. They die and then they sort of just roast right there and yes it is a horrible stench.

Thanks for the advice man... I think you nailed it. I decided to take my thermostat off of the heat tape directly and monitor it from 1/2 way into the enclosure instead. That way I can keep it consistent where the roaches actually are (or where I want them to be) and the thermostat isn't switching on and off every 5 minutes. I keep the heat tape on a dimmer switch like you anyway for safety so I just cranked that up a bit and now I am able to keep the 36 gal at about 91 degrees in the middle where i was only achieving 78 there before. All day today the colony was gone from the corner of the tub and they were living happily in the crates again. (and super active too!!!)

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom