Dubia Molting

Status
Not open for further replies.

joetran1

So, I know that Dubia Roaches will molt but sometimes, a few dubia roaches will not completely molt and die. Usually that's because of low humidity.

I recently had a Dubia go through an incomplete molt and I was wondering why that is. I have a water bottle in the bin for humidity, and I'm wondering if I should mist the bin to increase the humidity in the bin if it's too low. I know that it might cause there to be mold, but I don't want anymore Dubias dieing from incomplete molts.

Does anyone have any solutions to this problem?

cashrokxsz

Juvie Member
incomplete molts are due to low humidity. their chitin doesnt get moist enuff to come completely of. the best solution for this is to take out the water bottle and put a shallow dish of water crystals. u can get these from the roach guy or the roach ranch for a fair price. u can also try the calcium enriched ones that are green from zilla. they double up as a gutload aswell.

hammerhead

Juvie Member
I'm wondering what kind of water bottle your using. I suggest using a glass with a very wide mouth, one that they can't climb up and drown (or put a piece of screen over it). The more surface water the better humidity. Placing it near the heat source also increases humidity, and more than one also helps. A humidistat may solve your problem as well and they aren't very expensive.

joetran1

Original Poster
Thanks for the information guys.

I was actually using a plastic water bottle that I cut the top off of so that more water would be exposed to the heat. I was wondering if you guys knew anything about the water crystals that are used for plants. I heard you could use that for dubia roaches as well. I think that getting those would be easier for me but when I headed to Home Depot today they had no idea what I was talking about.

Does anyone know the company that produces the water crystals for plants or the name of the product itself?

Once again, much thanks for the given information.

-Joseph-

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
joetran1":2435sgh9 said:
I have a water bottle in the bin for humidity

What is the humidity of the bin though? To say you have a water bottle there doesn't really mean the humidity is high enough. I'd check the humidity (if you can) and post back. Also, roaches die occasionally so I wouldn't get too worried about it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom