Dubia food experiment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dociledragons

Juvie Member
I have been reading all the post of what to feed dubia roaches for a large breeding colony. From what I can tell the majority of us use agree on Oats, Grains, Fish flakes, and High grain dog/cat food with 12-13% protein.

The thing is I have use cheap dog/Cat food ground up in the past and didn't have a problem of them breeding. But, I do remember having adult Dubias that died. However, that could be because of low humidity. I should mention I breed them several years ago and decided to start up again.

Has anybody did an experiment by putting 10-20 adults in a separate container with only low quality dog food while having another container consisting of the same number of adult but, feeding them High quality grain and such?

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
12-13% protein is way low. I'd consider THAT to be a low-quality food source.

My chow mixture base components are Kitten Chow (min protein 30%), Ferret Food (min protein 40%),
Oats, High-Vitamin type cereal (grapenuts, kasha go lean, etc), a little raw sugar, and a small amount
of fish flakes or bearded dragon pellets (whichever I have on hand).

[Note: the ferret food is just because my ferret wouldn't eat this particular formulation, he prefers the 42% mixture from the same company and I have a big bag of this other formulation].

dociledragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Up until recently I thought the more protein the better. But, with all the research I've been doing lower protein for Dubia's is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom