dubia enclosure heating problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reeferman20

Hatchling Member
hi i am sorting out my dubia enclosure and before getting the dubia i setup the tank and have discovered that my 40w heat pad will only heat my tub up to 75 degrees at night and 80 degrees in the day.... these temps will be lower sometimes aswell and dubia need constant temps of 75-95. my 40 w heat pad covers the entire bottom of my tub. how could i boost the temp up???

suzuki4life

Juvie Member
insulate the sides, vent the top. If you can't get ambient high enough at the top, you can sit your tub inside another taller container which will increase the tunnel effect. You do not want to restrict ventilation and increase humidity. High humidity causes many problems.

Reeferman20

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i have vents in the top, what would i insulate the sides with and would i do it on the outside or the inside? and the container i would sit it in would have the lid off? would attatching a heat pad to the side help? sorry for so many questions

suzuki4life

Juvie Member
you are basically creating a chimney. Heat rises so you want the heat source under the tub. When the heat approaches the top you will lose temps. You can either raise the top thus making the heat travel higher before being vented OR you can lower the insects toward the heat. Both work but you there are disadvantages to both. Larger container space requires more heat/bigger heat source. Lowering the insects will crowd them and build humidity plus stressing the insects.

you can insulate your tubs with fiberglass insulation...or a blanket. Many things can work...I wouldn't get too fancy. I would only insulate the outside.

Valerie

Sub-Adult Member
I had also tried the blanket way and it did not work I had to add a red heat lamp too. I hope I will not lose to much humidity but the temps were not going high enough.

I am using a human heating pad do you think it would be safe to put this tub inside another tub with the heating pad?

Valerie

Sub-Adult Member
With a ditigal probe theometer. I put the probe in the container half way so i could get the temps of the air. I have the human heating pad on high.
The room it is in is about 66 to 67 degrees so i am sure that plays a part in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom