Dubia Colony Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDizzle

I started up my colony a few weeks ago, I cant remember exactly what I bought but it was around 150 mixed with around 10 adult females. I have time so I'm just going to let them grow and do their thing before I begin feeding off my colony. I want to make sure everything is right for them to breed however. I've read a lot around here and cant seem to find the answer i'm looking for.

Do you put your heat source on a cycle? Or let it run 24/7? I have a 38 gallon rubbermaid tub with a heatpad underneath on one side. Do you put your heaters on timers? It get to around 70 degrees here at night plus or minus a few degrees. I just want to make sure I'm not going to have any problems with my set up. Currently I have them on a 12 on 12 off cycle, is this bad? Temps are usually around 80-95 during the day and humidity around 50%. Should my humidity also be higher?

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
I have a CHE on the inside controlled with a thermostat for around 85 to 90 degrees. I'm not sure I like my setup, The CHE seems to dry out my fruits and veggies and water crystals really fast. The CHE is near the open space where the food and water is supplied and the termostat probe and temperature probe are over near the egg flats so I'm sure the open space gets warmer than the egg flats.

midmichicer

Gray-bearded Member
I use a CHE also, but mine is on top of the lid. I cut a hole just the size of a lamp and put screen under it. It is a 60W and has been going 24/7 for almost a year.

clear

Sub-Adult Member
My room is heated with a oil filled heater. It stays roughly 85-87. I never saw production improvements with temps above this.

EDizzle

Original Poster
I appreciate the replies, I have adjusted my temps to go 24/7. Hopefully that will get this colony established. Just gonna let them do their thing now. Feeding them ground up cat food mixed with flukers cricket diet, along with oranges every few days. And of course water crystals.

Now it's time to finish up my custom enclosure, just need to mount the lighting and figure out how i'm gonna furnish the interior to get my dragon close to the UVB. I've found a lot of great stuff on this site and went with the crossfire design. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom