Dubia Aggressive

Status
Not open for further replies.

DorkiTimmy

Hatchling Member
So i got about 600 dubia roaches from 3/4 inch to 1 1/2 inch and around 30 female and 30male the male wings some of them seem to be attacked when they are freshly molted so far i had 2 male dubia attack so viciously or so that it hinkk had died their wings are messed up head chewed off are female the means ones instead of male? or are they getting attacked by other males? i have 400 of them in a 10 gal tank size but its a tub not tank. omg i am finding so much molt and new fresh white ones and more adults everyday :D but still some males wings are so messed up ): i have more female nymphs then male hand counted them when i got them all

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
They are being attacked by other males competing for the females.

You only want about a 5-1 ratio of females to males (5 adult females for each 1 adult male).

I've seen threads with as high as a 3-1 ratio and as low as 10-1, although that seems to be pushing it a bit.

Extra adult males just eat up resources and fight each other.

When you eventually start feeding from the colony, you want to feed off the males by preference

so you can save some/most of the females so they can grow up and breed. Just make sure to

throw a few males back now and then to keep the ratio good.

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
It sounds like they're not getting enough protein if the wings and heads are being eaten. What are you feeding them?

DorkiTimmy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i have carrots and celery and some lettuce in there in a fruit veggie dish and in another i have whole grain cereal and for the other i have dog food that are mashed up and sometimes i add a orange but they get moldy quick and really disgusting therefore i do not always add a orange inside for them but they are growing rapdily. there food isnt a problem just when a fresh male is molted they attacked it but so far only 2 death 1 fresh molted male and 1 large nymph another male was attacked so i moved it to another container until they are more harden

DorkiTimmy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i have carrots and celery and some lettuce in there in a fruit veggie dish and in another i have whole grain cereal and for the other i have dog food that are mashed up and sometimes i add a orange but they get moldy quick and really disgusting therefore i do not always add a orange inside for them but they are growing rapdily. there food isnt a problem just when a fresh male is molted they attacked it but so far only 2 death 1 fresh molted male and 1 large nymph another male was attacked so i moved it to another container until they are more harden

CNS

Its a combo of both. We keep 7:1 Ratio, but you must have a protein diet for the roaches. A lot of people seem to make their own using cat/dog food, but I wouldn't recommend that. There are a few breeders that formulate their own and it seems to work great, including myself. If there is no protein, they will turn cannibalistic. Even your females will start to get eaten.

DorkiTimmy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
and how to i make my own with protien ingredients steps? i dont think food is a factor and due to a factor that i have more large nypmhs then adults and the ratio is of female is low atm but i have more female nypmhs then males

Erok000

Hatchling Member
You need more protien in their diet, veggies isnt good enuff. I dont even use veggies, just dry roach chow I got from someone on here and the occasional orange and my colony is growing good. Wish I could afford to make it bigger but it will get there,lol.

DorkiTimmy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
yea i just said okay how do i make my own protien for my dubias " asking for directions and steps" and no i am not going to order roach chow because food is food not like i have one option not like if i dont get the proteins its going to die or is it if so why how explain.

DorkiTimmy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Is there a good place to get plastic storage bin that are a decent size for about 600-1000 dubia roaches? i have around 600 atm and 3 heat pad i can use with different watts and heat level.

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
You don't have to buy roach chow from others, but you do need to supply some kind of nutritous diet.

I made my own roach chow like this:

1/2 cup Purina Kitten Chow (dry food - kitten food has more protein than adult cat or dog food)
1/4 cup GrapeNuts Cereral (or Special K, or Cheerios, or any low-sugar cereal really, but we eat GrapeNuts ourselves so I've got it around)
1/4 cup Quaker Oatmeal
A handful of fish food flakes
A few spoonfuls of brown sugar

[some folks add some powdered milk as well, but I don't have any around so I skipped it]

Take everything and grind it all up in a cheap-o coffee grinder until it's a nice powder.
Voila . . roach chow with plenty of protein.

I use my chow as the base, plus I put in various veggies and fruits every few days (removing them after a day or so, before they go moldy)

There are tons of other receipes out there. Some folks skip the kitten chow and add dried fruits, nuts, and beans instead. Others use dry dog food,
but I like kitten food. Basically as long as all the food groups are met, it's fine...they are roaches after all.

[when feeding off though, I lower the chow and raise the fruits/veggies ratio for several days to gut-load them with better for the dragon stuff]

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
DorkiTimmy":3a8ny68l said:
Is there a good place to get plastic storage bin that are a decent size for about 600-1000 dubia roaches? i have around 600 atm and 3 heat pad i can use with different watts and heat level.

I got my totes from Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom