driftwood

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have driftwood in with my 4 month old, 9 1/2 inch dragon. sometimes some small loose wood pieces fall onto the ground and i clean them out of the cage so she wont eat them. but i do notice that while she's on the driftwood she will lick it from time to time...should i remove the driftwood or is this normal?

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
i am sure it depends largely on what type of wood the actual driftwood is. All of mine is very smooth. You may be able to seal it somehow. I am not sure exactly if it is bad though. I would assume that it would carry similar impaction risks to having bark or crushed walnut shells as a substrate.

thereallivinglegend

Original Poster
Thanks. Not only am i worried about the loose pieces falling, but the crickets hide in the holes as well. does anyone know of a wood sealer that is safe to use? if not, does anyone know where to find smooth driftwood that is 45-50"? I'm having trouble finding the bigger stuff and I'm too lazy to drive to the beach...

I too got driftwood from the pet store and pieces fell off and crickets hid in it. I found a really large smooth piece at the PetSmart by my house. I eventually got a fake piece of branch that I put in his cage. I drove to about five different Petcos and PetSmarts before I found one that worked for me. Goodluck!

Jennifer

You could try cutting a live tree branch, stripping off the bark, soaking it in a dilute bleach solution (10%) and then baking it. By cutting a live branch you reduce the risk of having things living inside/on versus a log/branch that has fallen and may have started to decay. Stripping the bark could help cut down on unwanted pests and the combination of the 10% bleach soak and oven heat treatment should kill anything else. This way you can trim and size it exactly how you want it; branch permitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom