Drake is Super sick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauraslizzard

Extreme Poster
Ok, so I havent been on here in a looong while, life got super busy and well.. it happens.. But here's today deal.
Came home today to find Drake laying in his poop, was in a rush already so I got a bath going to clean him. He normally loves his bathes!! And when I picked him up, he was listless! Put him in the tub and he went under water, couldnt even hold himself up!! I cleaned him and put him back in his cage,but I had to leave again as I was already running late.
He was Fine yesterday, ate and was basking on his log.. today he is like a wet noodle, black as can be, and cant even support his head up or walk on his own legs. they are doing this twitching thing as well. I have felt his belly and dont feel any impactions plus he did poop today.
He is going to the vet tomorrow, but I am posting this tonight to see if there are any ideas as to what could have caused this to happen soo quickly and anything I can do right now to help him feel better.
I have had him 6 years now, and got him when he was 2. so he is 8 years old. But he was completely normal yesterday.. and this morning was basking on his log when I left for work. I am gonna be on for a while tonight, but not sure how long. I will come back and at least post what the vet says when I get home tomorrow. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas given.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
What is his set up like ? Any chance that he got a hold of a toxic insect ? Are your temps. higher than normal [ affecting his tank temps.] with the heat waves across the country ? He sounds very ill....just throwing things out for you.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I had thought of beginning MBD as well, but the twitching associated with calcium deficiency and beginning of MBD is usually seen in young growing dragons, and not accompanied by extreme illness to where he is unresponsive like this dragon is. It may be a slight possibility though, but it's good to bring those threads up. I hope he pulls through whatever is going on.

lauraslizzard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
I appreciate the thoughts, his set up is the same as it has been for a while now. His temps vary due to the weather of course, but No his temps are fine, I have a probe type temp and a mini temp gun. He has his normal MVB and he stays pretty much on the warm side unless its brumation time. but he adjusts himself usually on his log or his rock for his preferred basking temp. He usually eats his greens and bearded dragon bites (beardie crack I call it) and gets superworms dipped in rep cal (pink of course) but he was off those for a while due to some infestation of the worm bedding. (flies if you've never had them before, the only way to get rid of them is to put all meal type products in the fridge and remove all worm bedding until they dissapear) I have checked for injuries and any bites.
Its the twitching and lack of strength thats got me worried really.
@Beardenoob, I am actually in the multiscreen multitasking stage now looking at that site. I am not sure if its mbd, because it is so sudden, but that was my thoughts too. Has anyone ever heard of sudden onset MBD?

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Sorry I had overlooked a few points, I haven't heard of sudden onset of MBD, my post of this was more of a knowledge base answer. It was too general again I apologize. Have you looked into the Hypervitaminosis?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Specifically, what greens have you been feeding?

There could be a vitamin deficiency which could lead to the shaking.
Do you supplement with vitamins?

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, the twitching does just start right out of the blue, sometimes with fast = growing babies that are eating great one day and then suddenly with symptoms the next. If you suspect that, start him on more calcium, make sure he can get close to the UVB and if you can get him outside when it's not too hot, the sun will do better than the bulb. Just set in the grass with him if you can.

lauraslizzard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
that is my next topic to read up on.. and please dont apologize for trying to help... I havent been on here in a long while, and I know a lot of times, the basics get overlooked when asking questions.

lauraslizzard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
ok after some more reading of the above links (thanks for those) I think its more along the lines of hypothiminosis (sp?) But he never gets frozen greens, only fresh.. and they vary depending on what looks good at the produce store! lol

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
lauraslizzard":x59sps7i said:
ok after some more reading of the above links (thanks for those) I think its more along the lines of hypothiminosis (sp?) But he never gets frozen greens, only fresh.. and they vary depending on what looks good at the produce store! lol

I am not 100% but, I believe hypervitaminosis is not too difficult to treat.
Brandon asked if you were dusting with multivitamins, are you and per what schedule?

lauraslizzard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
well honestly, not to much lately.. his multi vits got knocked over and I havent seen any lately in the pet stores. only been doing calci lately.. but I am hoping that is something simple like that. it just was so odd that it was so sudden and so severe.
I am going to bed now, but will come back and post what the vets says. Thanks for the links for sure.. I knew I could come and get some of answers on a last minute emergency. I am hoping its not something to severe.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
lauraslizzard":1oonmdjz said:
well honestly, not to much lately.. his multi vits got knocked over and I havent seen any lately in the pet stores. only been doing calci lately.. but I am hoping that is something simple like that. it just was so odd that it was so sudden and so severe.
I am going to bed now, but will come back and post what the vets says. Thanks for the links for sure.. I knew I could come and get some of answers on a last minute emergency. I am hoping its not something to severe.

Have a good night and best of luck

athenacp

Extreme Poster
WB Laura! Soryr to hear about Drake :( I am not up on the diseases that can happen, that's Tracie's expertise, but the only thing I can thing of is either he got a hold of a toxic bug (fireflies come to mind) or bad food. Is his head sunken in also?

Good luck today and keeping Drake in my prayers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom