dragons out in heat wave in UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffeesnob

Pebbles and Bambam are out in the garden in a secure cage - my babies are are 3months old and putting them out in the garden has made a difference to them -They seem more alert especially with all the flying bugs around. should i worry about bee stings?

I have noticed that the colouring on their belly is much more pronounced with their patterning looking almost black.

just wanted to ask if there is anything i should be cautious or aware of :?:

You should probably be more worried about them eating the bees more than anything else. We need every bee we've got left! Lol.

I put Ivy out yesterday in her pen. Showed me her beard for the first time ever. Had no idea what the hell was going on at first with all the cars and people form the school run going past but settled down eventually, opening her mouth a lot to let off the extra heat when she wasn't in the shade. Her colouring changed, too. She became more orange around her face like she used to be when she was little. She's a lot more alert today, as well. She was totally exhausted when she went back to her tank last night.

coffeesnob

Original Poster
so glad you mentioned the bees i was a little worried about the sting :?

my garden is really quiet so it not too much of a shock for them - i brought them is just before a thunder storm and down pour. I was a little concerned about them being scared to death.

I have heard somewhere that two hours of real sunshine = 12 hours under a uv lamp is that right or just an old wives tail. i guess too that real sunshine is great for their bones.

do you leave yours unattended?

Hi! The reason why your beardie is getting darker on the stomach is because your beardie is taking advantage of the extra uv and trying to absorb it along with extra heat from the sun.

10 year old vet

I occasionally leave her but only for maybe a minute or two and only in places where I know she's safe like the front garden with the gate shut and the back garden. And I never leave her alone with the dogs. Her pen is fully enclosed so nothing can just lift it up and grab her.

This one:
11403377_1086779824683374_2413597741387825751_n.jpg

I can just unzip the top to put her in and take her out. And since it was designed with puppies, kittens and digging rodents in mind it can stand up to the punishment of a beardie's claws and those of a cat or bird if they try to go after it.

Dogs, however, can fold it in on itself and can try to crush the lizard inside either with their paws or teeth so that's why I can't leave her alone with them if she's in it. Most of the time they're fine but once she climbs on the mesh, the eldest is a ratting breed (JRT) and tries to go for her out of natural instinct. So I mostly keep him away altogether except when I'm close enough to stop him.
The youngest dog is actually shorter than my beardie (mostly chi) so she probably doesn't look like prey to him. He barks at her at first, though because he's not exactly sure what she is and he does that to anything that he finds weird. I'm okay with him being around her pen unsupervised for brief moments of time when I have to go and do something else. But I'd never let him go near her outside of it in case he grabs her tail. Any of them actually. It's one of the main reasons why I have the pen. Because I want her to run around and have exercise without being attacked by the other pets or running into places I can't get her out of.

MyBilbo

Hatchling Member
beardies change colour depending on their temperature, the darker a beardie is the cooler it is, they get darker as darker colours absorb heat better than lighter colours, this is a natural thing to do and even some wild beardies are black all over to get better heat absorption.

From my experience the first time I took Bilbo out was a shocker, was out for about 2minutes saw a bird fly over than that was it for him! got all defensive and done usual aggressive beardie behaviour, I have been patient with him and now we go for little walks when it is hot enough, I live in a small village on the edge of a town so its quiet and nothing much bothers him now

flo1217

Kingsalmonattack":1qdy1y50 said:
This one:
11403377_1086779824683374_2413597741387825751_n.jpg

I can just unzip the top to put her in and take her out. And since it was designed with puppies, kittens and digging rodents in mind it can stand up to the punishment of a beardie's claws and those of a cat or bird if they try to go after it.

Dogs, however, can fold it in on itself and can try to crush the lizard inside either with their paws or teeth so that's why I can't leave her alone with them if she's in it. Most of the time they're fine but once she climbs on the mesh, the eldest is a ratting breed (JRT) and tries to go for her out of natural instinct. So I mostly keep him away altogether except when I'm close enough to stop him.
The youngest dog is actually shorter than my beardie (mostly chi) so she probably doesn't look like prey to him. He barks at her at first, though because he's not exactly sure what she is and he does that to anything that he finds weird. I'm okay with him being around her pen unsupervised for brief moments of time when I have to go and do something else. But I'd never let him go near her outside of it in case he grabs her tail. Any of them actually. It's one of the main reasons why I have the pen. Because I want her to run around and have exercise without being attacked by the other pets or running into places I can't get her out of.
Where can I get one of those?

Zuzu

You should probably be more worried about them eating the bees more than anything else. We need every bee we've got left! Lol.

Ingesting bees can also kill your dragon! So save the bees and your dragon as well!
I would also watch to make sure they don't eat too many wild bugs or wild bugs in general, as they can carry parasites.

I also need to find one of those pens O: I live in the US and £17.92 is a little pricey for me, I'll have to check the nice big pet store near here.

Stay safe in the UK heatwave btw!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's great to get the dragons out in the sun, an hour or so gives them sufficient UVB for the day. :) You can find a lot of different types of outdoor " pens" if you Google " outdoor tents for cats". There is quite a variety with different price ranges, you might find something on Amazon or Dr.Foster + Smith. By the way, concerning bees.....over the years several of my beardies [ including a 7" baby ] snatched bees + wasps before I could shoo them away and not one of them ever was hurt one bit. I was actually shocked, especially the first time thinking that the baby would start writhing + swell up but I guess they just bite the bee/wasp before any stinging could happen. I'm sure there's a chance that beardie could get stung but it never happened to any of my guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom