Dragon will NOT eat in front of me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just got a new dragon, and it's has been so much fun learning his/ her personality. I have a weird question though. My dragon will not eat in front of me. Is that usual? He/ she will look at me until I leave the room, and will not "dig in" until I'm gone. I just find that weird. And he/ she hasn't been eating that much. He eats just a tad bit more everyday ( wont touch veggies ) :banghead: I understand the he's new, but is he going to be ok? I'm more worried about him being the correct weight, and eating veggies. Help?

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Would you like it if a giant face floated near you every time you were offered food? :lol:

Give him some space and eventually he'll get comfortable enough that you aren't there to eat him and you'll be able to watch him to your heart's content.

As far as the veggies, if he's not a year to 18 months old, I wouldn't be too worried that he doesn't eat veggies. If he is older, only feed feeders every other day or so. I normally will do 8 supers every other day or 5 every day along with a salad.

Melody12

Hatchling Member
LOL! Mine doesn't like me to watch her eat either. I'll show her dish of greens. She'll stare at it and then look at me until I leave. Then she digs in. She won't eat when I'm in the room either. And if I'm there, Melody crawls on her greens and guards it. Hmm. Makes me wonder if her previous owner let her ever eat. :(

Melody doesn't mind me feeding her crickets with me in the background. It's funny how she reacts to food too! One evening, I finished eating dinner and her Grandma was eating. I had Melody out with me and she saw cooked spinach. Out came this large tongue and if she could, she would've jumped out of my hands and ate that spinach. I gave her some greens of her own. She didn't go to bed that night until 10 P.M. Guess she was a little bit hungry. :lol:

Robert0151

Original Poster
Wow... My beardie will eat maybe one bite of greens. He'll probably eat 2 wax worms , 2 crickets, and a meal worm ( given sparingly ) in one sitting. Is that ok until he gets comfortable?

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Go easy on the waxworms (I fed no more than 2 a week when I had them) and the mealworms (again about 2 a week). Give as many crickets as the little guy will eat in 5-10 minutes and offer a small amount of salad finely chopped every morning. If you feed in the tank, don't leave crickets in overnight. They've been known to bite.

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Actually, don't offer any mealworms. They are not good for beardies, and even one can cause an impaction in a baby.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Beardies go thru something called relocation stress when they move to a new home. It doesn't last a long time, sometimes a week or so, but during that time it's difficult for them to eat. So give him some time and if, after a few more days, he's still not eating, let us know the setup, as that can make a huge different. Type of UVB, if it's in the tank or on the mesh top (means you're losing 50% of the UVB rays); basking spot temperature; if you're giving your beardie calcium on bugs, how often; vit/min the same, how often. So once your little one is feeling more comfy (I've always though mine looked at me as a big lizard that might eat them, when I first got them :lol: especially when they're so little), then we can go over that with you.

Congrats on your new beardie, welcome to being a new beardie slave and now you have a dragon to worry about! I've had dragons for 6 years, my 5 males are all adults and I still worry about them :mrgreen: It goes with the territory :D

Robert0151

Original Poster
He started to eat a lot more today. 5 crickets and another wax worm! I'm going to bathe him in the morning and try feeding again. I think that he's/ she's getting used to me. He came down when I got home! I think he was just hungry :lol:

drakedragon

Juvie Member
mine is a bit like that. ive had her 6 weeks and she has only recently started eating infront of me but usually she will only eat 3 roaches and wont eat the rest until i leave the room

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Roxie - that's not really true. The are ACCEPTABLE as a treat for adults, but there are many other options that are much better.

Robert0151

Original Poster
UPDATE: I just had to give the new beardie some time... NOW she eats like a MONSTER! :lol: Starting next week, her staple will be phoenix worms. I'm still trying to convince her to eat veggies (any suggestions?) But shes doing fine :blob8:

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
For veggies, you should try hand feeding them before the first live feeding of the day. You can also put a bit of calcium powder on them to entice her to eat them. Good luck with the phoenix worms! Max loved them. I had to stop when he started pooping them out alive though :shock:. Keep an eye out for that - they love them so much that they don't really chew them sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cinnabunn
Top Bottom