Dragon Tail half crushed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
AdrianHo":hs5q5lxw said:
Thanks just curious I checked out the MVB LAMPS AND THE PRICES ARE QUITE EXPENSIVE. IS THERE ANY LOW PRICES U COULD RECOMEND. WHAT DO U USE

No , if you pay peanuts , expect cheap Chinese junk which will be harmful to your dragon because of very poor cheap materials used to make the light.... and cheap also means it want last long so is a false economy.

Stick with Arcadia or ExoTerra for your MVB, you will pay more but you wont regret it.

Casir141

Adrianho you never said how your dragon got it's tail cut? That should be resolved as well as trying to heal the tail and find remedies.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Are you taking him to a reptile vet? I'm not trying to be harsh here, but it doesn't at all seem like you're taking this seriously. You're putting him on clothing in your closet and taking funny photos of him, then saying "He's not too happy today because of what happened to his tail"...No, probably not. Would you be happy if you got your foot or hand crushed and had broken bones and open wounds around them that are becoming infected, and YOU HAD NO PAIN KILLERS? And you're set up for him is extremely inadequate and you don't even have the correct lighting for him for when he's healthy, let alone when he's sick or injured and needs proper UVB and basking temperatures in order to even begin to heal. And now you're saying you can't afford to even get him the correct lighting for his every day life? And you've totally ignored the Herp Veterinarian questions and suggestions, so my guess is that you have no intention of taking him, you're just going to leave that makeshift splint or whatever it is you have on there...That's just pathetic and sad to me, you putting him in that closet with that crappy splint on his tail and taking and posting funny photos is really inappropriate. You don't get it, HE COULD DIE A VERY PAINFUL DEATH IN THE NEAR FUTURE IF YOU DON'T GET HIM PROPER HELP FROM AN EXPERIENCED HERP VET IMMEDIATELY! DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THAT?

Here's the deal, I'm hoping you'll realize the severity of his injury and realize that HE'S IN A LOT OF PAIN AND HAS BEEN SINCE THIS HAPPENED, AND IF HE DOESN'T GET HELP HES GOING TO SUFFER AND THEN DIE. He may have other underlying health issues in addition to this like MBD because you don't even have appropriate lighting for him and apparently never have. And this is the second time this has happened to him, which is just awful, except this time you're not going to get away with doing nothing.

I'm sorry this is happening to him but it seems to me that you cannot afford to care for him properly to begin with. If you can't even afford to buy a proper MVB bulb or T5 10.0 UVB tube and fixture for him, then you shouldn't have him. Period. That should make sense to you. You have to know how important correct UVB lighting and proper basking lighting and temperatures are to reptiles, they depend on these things for every part of their health. So forgetting that you cannot afford a couple hundred dollars to take him to a Herp Vet (like I said earlier, the longer you wait to take him, the more expensive it will be, drastically more), you cannot even afford his basic daily needs, so much to the point that you're using cheap red lighting that will not only do him no good at all but that is actually harmful to him! IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD A PET'S BASIC DAILY REQUIREMENTS FOR THEIR LIVELIHOOD THEN YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE THEM, AND YOU NEED TO SERIOUSLY CONSIDER SURRENDERING HIM TO AN ESTABLISHED REPTILE RESCUE IMMEDIATELY SO THAT THEY CAN TAKE HIM TO AN EXPERIENCED HERP VET IMMEDIATELY AND SAVE HIS LIFE! I'm sorry to say this to you, but you need a wake-up call my friend. Maybe in the future if you become more financially stable you can get another water dragon and do it the proper way, meaning doing your research about what their requirements ARE and buying a proper enclosure, proper UVB and basking lighting, and saving up a Veterinarian fund for it BEFORE YOU GO BUY THE LIZARD! Just because you have the cash to purchase a pet doesn't mean you should buy it! My local Petco has a baby water dragon for sale right now, they just got him last Friday and I saw him when I went in to buy NEW REPTISUN 10.0 T8 18" TUBE UVB BULBS because I suddenly realized that 2 out of 3 of mine were over 6 months old a month ago! I had forgotten and felt awful, and even though I could have ordered them from Petmountain.Com for $24 a piece I didn't think it was responsible to wait any longer, so I ran right out to Petco and bought 2 for $37.99 a piece...Stupid? Maybe, yes it hurt to pay that because I knew that they would probably be fine for a few days while I had new ones shipped, but my pets are my responsibility, I CHOSE TO BRING THEM INTO MY HOME AND MY FAMILY, AND THEY ARE 100% HELPLESS AND RELY UPON ME FOR NOT ONLY THEIR THEIR SURVIVAL, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY FOR THEIR GOOD HEALTH AND QUALITY OF THEIR LIVES! If I wasn't able to pay for a large emergency vet bill for any of my pets at the drop of a hat, then I would not have them because that's not fair. They would be much better off with someone else who could give them a good quality of life. Anyway, that baby Water Dragon costs $34.99, which is very cheap to me, I had no idea that they were so inexpensive. But that isn't necessarily a good thing, just because you have $34.99 doesn't mean you can afford to buy that water dragon.

You're going to ultimately do what you want to do anyway, but I hope to god you wake-up and start taking this seriously right this moment. Your water dragon needs to go to a Herp Vet immediately, and he also needs proper UVB and basking lighting immediately, he's most likely never had it, or at least since you've had him. That red light needs to be thrown out in the trash. You mentioned to me that I obviously know about reptile health and medicine; yes, I do, I have a master's degree in Animal Health Science. But it doesn't take any degree at all to know that if you can't buy a pet the very basic requirements it needs to simply survive, then you should not have that pet. What are you going to do when he stops eating and gets lethargic? Are you then going to finally break down and take him to a proper Reptile vet and pay $500+ without even knowing if he'll survive, or does it make more sense to take him today or tomorrow (if you let us know where you live we can find you certified Reptile vets that are close and you can call and get price quotes) and pay $200+?

My best advice to you is if you cannot go out now and buy him proper UVB and basking lighting and take him immediately for proper treatment of his tail (x-rays, cultures, debridement, possible amputation, dressing, and antibiotics), then you need to find or let us help you find an established reptile rescue that you can surrender him to and who can take him immediately to their Certified Reptile Vet and get him the emergency medical care he needs at once. I know it will be difficult to give up a pet that you love, but isn't it a much better feeling to know that he'll not only be getting proper medical care to treat his injury and the subsequent necrosis and sepsis that is soon to follow, and he'll get prescription pain meds, but that he'll also be living in an adequate enclosure with proper UVB lighting and proper temperatures, which will improve his overall health and start to reverse any illness that he has as a result of not having his basic needs met? He'll not be with you, but he'll be alive and healthy and not in pain. The alternative is that you keep him, he continues to suffer and be in pain, and he eventually dies either from Sepsis or starvation/dehydration, and you won't have him then either.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I agree with Ellen .

THIS IS A SERIOUS INJURY and your sweet little Asian Water Dragon deserves better.

PLEASE - NO MORE HESITATION either man-up and take him to a good HERP (reptile) vet and make sure he gets the medical / vet treatment and antibiotics he needs (being poor is no excuse IMO , you took on the responsibility and obligation to provide proper care for your water dragon when you brought him home) ,
OR
if you can not find the money or wont then I implore you to surrender him to a reptile rescuer / rehabilitator who WILL PROVIDE NECESSARY VET TREATMENT AND WILL REHABILITATE HIM AND WILL EVENTUALLY REHOME HIM WITH A CARING / LOVING & COMPETENT KEEPER when he's ready.

I would take him in a heardbeat if I was living near you and I'm sure there others here who feel the same.

He deserves the chance of having a life, he is a sentinent intelligent and sensitive being who deserves better than simply being put left to suffer ineffective home remedies because they are cheap to do so..... Your sweet little Asian water dragon is not a throw away commodity like say a cheap cellphone.

All you need to do is say what town you live in and if you can't find a REPTILE RESCUER GRP others here can . Please don't tell us you don't know how to find a rescuer who is near where you live , I live in Australia (on the other side of the planet) and I easily found these (in under 10 seconds with a google search): just scroll down to the rescuer who is nearest to you and contact them (URGENTLY !!!).

http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/reptile-rescues.php ,
or
http://www.anapsid.org/societies/#us

Here is some more
http://www.reptilerescue.com/contact.html
http://villachardonnay.org/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=313&Itemid=313&gclid=CPmcq4iWl9QCFZkHKgod9GoP0g

AdrianHo

Original Poster
EllenD":17gcszzu said:
A photo of the entire tail/entire body is necessary here to access whether it's infected, and whether it may be spreading. IT MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE HOW CLEAN HIS TANK IS, BACTERIA LIVE EVERYWHERE AND A WOUND THAT SEVERE IS A BREEDING GROUND FOR INFECTIONS, ESPECIALLY IF THE BONE IS AT ALL EXPOSED AND/OR WAS FRACTURED!

Any injury that results in an open wound AND a damaged underlying bone REQUIRES A CERTIFIED REPTILE VET IMMEDIATELY!!! Had you taken him when it happened they would have not only cleaned, debrided, and dressed the wound (and possibly either set the tail bone or amputated above the wound/fracture), but they would have most likely given him antibiotic injections AND put him on oral antibiotics as a precaution. And the reason they do this is because a lizard's tank is a breeding ground for infections, regardless of how clean it is kept!

Forgetting that this has happened before to the same lizard (that's upsetting and suspicious), he's in a lot of pain even if he isn't outwardly acting like it in your opinion. Any time a bone is damaged or broken it is extremely painful to any living creature. So he also needs some prescription pain meds from a veterinarian in addition to the antibiotics. Even if you think you can treat a serious wound/fracture by yourself with a makeshift cast, you need to think about the pain he has been in since it happened. And if that doesn't get you to take him to a certified Reptile vet ASAP, then the extreme likelihood of "Tail Rot"/Necrosis/Sepsis should be getting you in the car with him right now!

"Tail Rot" is a general term, not an actual disease in and of itself. To sum it up for you, the tails of lizards commonly become infected as a result from either a serious injury, such as this example, stuck shed, etc. because #1 their environments are perfect for bacteria to thrive, and #2 because the blood supply to their tails is not great, therefore their tails don't heal quickly or efficiently die to a lack of white blood cells, platelets, etc. getting to the area, ESPECIALLY IF THERE IS BONE DAMAGE INVOLVEMENT, AS THERE IS A BLOOD SUPPLY INSIDE THE BONE THAT WILL CARRY THE BACTERIAL INFECTION UPWARDS! As a result of a bacterial infection setting in, the tissue BELOW the wound dies, or becomes NECROTIC. Any blackening of the tissue is NECROTIC, or dead tissue. If the lizard doesn't get aggressive antibiotic treatment with the APPROPRIATE ANTIBIOTICS (an experienced reptile vet will do a Culture and Sensitivity to diagnose the type of bacteria and which antibiotic will work to kill it), the infection will travel UP THE TAIL, TOWARDS THE BODY. The necrosis, or tissue death, will spread UPWARDS TOWARDS THE BODY as well, killing all of the tissue along its way. If the lizard still doesn't receive proper treatment with antibiotics and amputation above the NECROTIC tissue/bone line, the infection then spreads into the lizard's bloodstream. This is called Sepsis, or a Systemic Septic Infection. At this point it's extremely difficult to treat the Infection, and typically the lizard dies a horrible, painful death. Now, in your lizard's situation, where there is exposed, damaged bone, the Infection will spread up towards the body and into the bloodstream much more quickly, because the bone has its own blood supply, and the bone will become NECROTIC and die right along with the tissue. So to sum this all up, YOU NEED TO GET YOUR WATER DRAGON TO A CERTIFIED REPTILE VET IMMEDIATELY, LIKE YESTERDAY. NOT BECAUSE THE TAIL MIGHT BE FRACTURED, NOT BECAUSE IT MIGHT NOT GROW BACK, BUT BECAUSE EVERY HOUR THAT GOES BY WITHOUT GETTING HIM ON APPROPRIATE ORAL ANTIBIOTICS AND MOST LIKELY ANTIBIOTICS BY IM INJECTIONS AND AN AMPUTATION ABOVE THE WOUND, YOU'RE MAKING HIS TAIL MORE AND MORE DIFFICULT TO TREAT.

Trust me, you'll end up spending a hell of a lot more money if you wait to get him to an experienced reptile vet any longer. Typically what I see in this situation is the owner refusing to take the lizard to a Herp Vet because they don't want to pay for it, so they use Betadine and Raw Honey and Neosporin and Colloidal Silver etc. and they think they're fine because the lizard is still eating and acting normally. Then one day the lizard stops eating, stops moving and becomes extremely lethargic, and they start trying to force feed it and they still refuse to take it to a Herp Vet. Then they finally break down for one reason or another and they finally take the lizard to a reptile vet, and what would have been a bill for an office visit, an antibiotic injection, a round of oral antibiotics, oral pain meds, and possibly a small amputation that amounts to between $100-$200 is now well over $1,000 because the lizard has to stay in the hospital for tube feedings, subcutaneous fluid injections, IV antibiotics, treatment in an oxygenated brooder, and actual serious surgery to remove the entire tail along with tissue in the lower abdominal area. And over 50% of the time at this point THE LIZARD DIES ANYWAY! Happens ALL THE TIME! I'm tire of seeing it, so I'm not pulling any punches anymore. What I just wrote can be verified by searching for "Tail Rot" or "Broken Tail" and reading the hundreds of posts that I just summarized. It's so preventable, not expensive if you just act like a responsible pet owner and take him to an experienced reptile vet now rather than later.

Take your pet to the reptile vet immediately. Stop playing doctor and do the responsible thing. If you or your human child had this same thing happen to a finger, toe, hand, foot, etc. you'd be in the ER within the hour, if for no other reason than the pain. You need to think about that.
I talked to the vet. Her tail was patched but not amputated. 3 days later her tail appears to be all right.

AdrianHo

Original Poster
EllenD":3bz39wdm said:
A photo of the entire tail/entire body is necessary here to access whether it's infected, and whether it may be spreading. IT MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE HOW CLEAN HIS TANK IS, BACTERIA LIVE EVERYWHERE AND A WOUND THAT SEVERE IS A BREEDING GROUND FOR INFECTIONS, ESPECIALLY IF THE BONE IS AT ALL EXPOSED AND/OR WAS FRACTURED!

Any injury that results in an open wound AND a damaged underlying bone REQUIRES A CERTIFIED REPTILE VET IMMEDIATELY!!! Had you taken him when it happened they would have not only cleaned, debrided, and dressed the wound (and possibly either set the tail bone or amputated above the wound/fracture), but they would have most likely given him antibiotic injections AND put him on oral antibiotics as a precaution. And the reason they do this is because a lizard's tank is a breeding ground for infections, regardless of how clean it is kept!

Forgetting that this has happened before to the same lizard (that's upsetting and suspicious), he's in a lot of pain even if he isn't outwardly acting like it in your opinion. Any time a bone is damaged or broken it is extremely painful to any living creature. So he also needs some prescription pain meds from a veterinarian in addition to the antibiotics. Even if you think you can treat a serious wound/fracture by yourself with a makeshift cast, you need to think about the pain he has been in since it happened. And if that doesn't get you to take him to a certified Reptile vet ASAP, then the extreme likelihood of "Tail Rot"/Necrosis/Sepsis should be getting you in the car with him right now!

"Tail Rot" is a general term, not an actual disease in and of itself. To sum it up for you, the tails of lizards commonly become infected as a result from either a serious injury, such as this example, stuck shed, etc. because #1 their environments are perfect for bacteria to thrive, and #2 because the blood supply to their tails is not great, therefore their tails don't heal quickly or efficiently die to a lack of white blood cells, platelets, etc. getting to the area, ESPECIALLY IF THERE IS BONE DAMAGE INVOLVEMENT, AS THERE IS A BLOOD SUPPLY INSIDE THE BONE THAT WILL CARRY THE BACTERIAL INFECTION UPWARDS! As a result of a bacterial infection setting in, the tissue BELOW the wound dies, or becomes NECROTIC. Any blackening of the tissue is NECROTIC, or dead tissue. If the lizard doesn't get aggressive antibiotic treatment with the APPROPRIATE ANTIBIOTICS (an experienced reptile vet will do a Culture and Sensitivity to diagnose the type of bacteria and which antibiotic will work to kill it), the infection will travel UP THE TAIL, TOWARDS THE BODY. The necrosis, or tissue death, will spread UPWARDS TOWARDS THE BODY as well, killing all of the tissue along its way. If the lizard still doesn't receive proper treatment with antibiotics and amputation above the NECROTIC tissue/bone line, the infection then spreads into the lizard's bloodstream. This is called Sepsis, or a Systemic Septic Infection. At this point it's extremely difficult to treat the Infection, and typically the lizard dies a horrible, painful death. Now, in your lizard's situation, where there is exposed, damaged bone, the Infection will spread up towards the body and into the bloodstream much more quickly, because the bone has its own blood supply, and the bone will become NECROTIC and die right along with the tissue. So to sum this all up, YOU NEED TO GET YOUR WATER DRAGON TO A CERTIFIED REPTILE VET IMMEDIATELY, LIKE YESTERDAY. NOT BECAUSE THE TAIL MIGHT BE FRACTURED, NOT BECAUSE IT MIGHT NOT GROW BACK, BUT BECAUSE EVERY HOUR THAT GOES BY WITHOUT GETTING HIM ON APPROPRIATE ORAL ANTIBIOTICS AND MOST LIKELY ANTIBIOTICS BY IM INJECTIONS AND AN AMPUTATION ABOVE THE WOUND, YOU'RE MAKING HIS TAIL MORE AND MORE DIFFICULT TO TREAT.

Trust me, you'll end up spending a hell of a lot more money if you wait to get him to an experienced reptile vet any longer. Typically what I see in this situation is the owner refusing to take the lizard to a Herp Vet because they don't want to pay for it, so they use Betadine and Raw Honey and Neosporin and Colloidal Silver etc. and they think they're fine because the lizard is still eating and acting normally. Then one day the lizard stops eating, stops moving and becomes extremely lethargic, and they start trying to force feed it and they still refuse to take it to a Herp Vet. Then they finally break down for one reason or another and they finally take the lizard to a reptile vet, and what would have been a bill for an office visit, an antibiotic injection, a round of oral antibiotics, oral pain meds, and possibly a small amputation that amounts to between $100-$200 is now well over $1,000 because the lizard has to stay in the hospital for tube feedings, subcutaneous fluid injections, IV antibiotics, treatment in an oxygenated brooder, and actual serious surgery to remove the entire tail along with tissue in the lower abdominal area. And over 50% of the time at this point THE LIZARD DIES ANYWAY! Happens ALL THE TIME! I'm tire of seeing it, so I'm not pulling any punches anymore. What I just wrote can be verified by searching for "Tail Rot" or "Broken Tail" and reading the hundreds of posts that I just summarized. It's so preventable, not expensive if you just act like a responsible pet owner and take him to an experienced reptile vet now rather than later.

Take your pet to the reptile vet immediately. Stop playing doctor and do the responsible thing. If you or your human child had this same thing happen to a finger, toe, hand, foot, etc. you'd be in the ER within the hour, if for no other reason than the pain. You need to think about that.

We talked to the doctor. Her tail was patched and no amputation was needed. ?. Her tail still looks the same as others in colour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peapthis
Top Bottom