Dragon seems weak and always wants to sleep?

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
So for a while now Nova has been always wanting to be in his hide. In the morning I leave him until he wakes up. But he won't crawl out. If I take him out and put him on his log, he just goes back to his hide after a few minuets.
Also he seems weak, not limp but doesn't feel strong. He also doesn't eat for up to several days in a row.
Is something wrong or he thinking its time to brumate? Its pretty hot here now, so thats kinda odd.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
So for a while now Nova has been always wanting to be in his hide. In the morning I leave him until he wakes up. But he won't crawl out. If I take him out and put him on his log, he just goes back to his hide after a few minuets.
Also he seems weak, not limp but doesn't feel strong. He also doesn't eat for up to several days in a row.
Is something wrong or he thinking its time to brumate? Its pretty hot here now, so thats kinda odd.
Go over you lighting with us please, that's pretty much always were we need to start.

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Go over you lighting with us please, that's pretty much always were we need to start.
Ok I've got a 150 watt clear heat light. A 18 inch uv tube light that came with my new uv light fixture sine the old one broke last month.
I also put in a coconut fiber matt, could that cause any problem?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Ok I've got a 150 watt clear heat light. A 18 inch uv tube light that came with my new uv light fixture sine the old one broke last month.
Probably not in the short term.
The uvb, is it zilla brand? That's the 18 inch that comes to mind. If so they usually come with a clear plasic cover over the bulb, it is imperative to remove that cover (if it has it) it blocks 100% of the uvb. Over time your dragon will become sick.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Also 150 watt bulbs are hot, are you using a digital probe thermometer to take temps? If not he may be to hot

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The uvb needs to be unobstructed and in the tank directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches-- not a fan of coconut - they are dry and dusty and can cause ri's

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Also 150 watt bulbs are hot, are you using a digital probe thermometer to take temps? If not he may be to hot
I have a thermomotor gun
Here is the temp directly under the light, and Nova's temp according to it.

Attachments

• 20240521_173327.jpg
    20240521_173327.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240521_173335.jpg
    20240521_173335.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 26

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
The uvb needs to be unobstructed and in the tank directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches-- not a fan of coconut - they are dry and dusty and can cause ri's
The uvb is mounted inside the tank.
Really, I never read that anywhere! Although he has eaten some strands from it, can that be making him sick?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The uvb is mounted inside the tank.
Really, I never read that anywhere! Although he has eaten some strands from it, can that be making him sick?
Strands of the coconut fiber? Possible but I am not a vet- I would take it out - strands? You don't want those wrapping around his intestines - make sure distance is 6-8 inches and not over 6 months old

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Probably not in the short term.
The uvb, is it zilla brand? That's the 18 inch that comes to mind. If so they usually come with a clear plasic cover over the bulb, it is imperative to remove that cover (if it has it) it blocks 100% of the uvb. Over time your dragon will become sick.
I removed it when I got it.
Strands of the coconut fiber? Possible but I am not a vet- I would take it out - strands? You don't want those wrapping around his intestines - make sure distance is 6-8 inches and not over 6 months old
Ah, I see. I'll see about getting a reptile carpet again.
I could never find any the right size, the coconut ones where the only ones that where right.
But I see how that can be a problem.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I removed it when I got it.

Ah, I see. I'll see about getting a reptile carpet again.
I could never find any the right size, the coconut ones where the only ones that where right.
But I see how that can be a problem.
I would get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner -- cut it to the size of the tank - what size tank are you using?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Its a 40 gallon breeder. 36 by 18 inches.
Also I have a 75 watt heat light, should I put that in? Is the 150watt really too hot?
The only way to find out if the tank is too hot is you need two digital probe thermometers --- those are must haves-- temps for surface basking 95-100 ambient around 100 and cool side of the tank 80ish- during the day - the heat light is a CHE NO light one or is it a colored bulb?

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
The only way to find out if the tank is too hot is you need two digital probe thermometers --- those are must haves-- temps for surface basking 95-100 ambient around 100 and cool side of the tank 80ish- during the day - the heat light is a CHE NO light one or is it a colored bulb?
Ah, I've been useing a temperature gun, it did show that the basking spot was 107.
Its just a clear bulb.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom