Dragon not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonClaudz

I'm really worried about one of my beardies. she hasn't been eating for almost a month and she is extremely sluggish and almost can't move. She is a few months over a year old I believe. Her enclosure is always at room temperature, cooler at night. she is next to an extremely large window where she gets lots of sunlight and warmth for about 6 hours per day and we also have a UVB bulb. she eats crickets covered in calcium with vitamin D3 powder and we also give fresh fruits and vegitables. Her substrate is newspaper. 21x14x12 inch enclosure.

I have another male beardie with the same set-up but he still eats normally but also has trouble moving. My main concern is that my father has been putting pesticide near their enclosures for about 2 months now to deal with our ant problem. I want to move my dragons elsewhere but they need the window I think. My female refuses all crickets and vegetables and can't really move. she is really just looking like skin and bones now. Both of my beardies can only move by kind of rowing with their hands and legs with their bellies on the ground, my male is faster than the female but same problem.
When my father asked some bearded dragon breeders before they told him that my beardies and hibernating but I really doubt they will hibernate into this state.

I really need urgent help for them. any suggestions please? :(

Well the pesticide would definitely be a concern...what form of pesticide is it? (powder, liquid, etc.) and what brand? There are things you can do to get rid of ants that is non-toxic and safe for animals. I'd be happy to check into it for you and find out the name. As for them being in brumation...well if she is declining in health and they both have trouble moving, I doubt they are hibernating but it is possible. They could also have some kind of parasite. Have you taken a stool sample to the vet recently?

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
The enclosures are at room temps? Do you have any additional heat for them? They need much hotter than room temps.
How cold is it at night?

DragonClaudz

Original Poster
I have additional basking lamps for them but they don't give much heat because my dad is too cheap to get proper ones :x . also they are right next to the air conditioning which is really cold at night. They were right next to this window during the winter so it was also pretty cold. It might have been the winter. I'm definitely moving them away from the AC and I need to get a source of heat. also their poop used to be runny all the time. I'm going to take them to the vet soon

evvdcaec

To sum things up a little:

DragonClaudz":11vya07v said:
...enclosure is always at room temperature...my father has been putting pesticide [Raid Ant Killer liquid] near their enclosures for about 2 months now...too cheap to get proper ones [basking lamps]...they are right next to the air conditioning...

I would suggest to try to remedy these things as quickly as possible and take them to the vet immediately along with poop samples.

The enclosure during the day should be about 85F on the cool side and 100-105F on the basking side and drop to no less then 65F at night. Also, pesticides are designed to kill, everything, including your dragons. Maybe use ant traps instead?

Hopefully you will be able to remedy the heat problem asap and I hope all goes well with the vet. Ant traps are a great alternative to pesticides as well as there is a Pet safe ant killer called Eco-Smart Insect Killer, you get 32 fl. oz. for $9.50 at Walmart in the garden center. (If you have a walmart where you live) Runny poo can be a sign of parasites as well as the incorrect temps (too hot or too cold), so I suggest taking in a poo sample to the vet asap. Good Luck! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nuochoakenperfume
Top Bottom