Dragon Needs Help in VA

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpinsky

Hatchling Member
I really hate to put a post up like this, but...

In Chester, VA, there is a place called "Pet World", where my family normally buys crickets (however, I am asking my parents to boycott them and buy from Petco, instead) for Shenron. When I went there last week looking for gut load, I noticed the bearded dragon they had for sale. It is an adult, but is in a 40-50 gallon aquarium (not a breeder) with some kind of paper pellet substance as a substrate (like they use for rabbits, ferrets, and gerbils). This thing (I just got a glance at it's proportions, but I think it may be female) is as skinny as a stick (not big and plump like Shenron is) and they are using a red light for god knows what reason. The coloring looks terrible and I just about cried when I saw it. As far as I saw, there was no UVB (granted, my Shenron didn't have a UVB for the longest time and got extremely lucky by not getting MBD because we may have had MVBs in at some points in time, but I took steps to correct that and he is doing wonderful now) and it is not attentive in the way that bearded dragons are. I remember they were trying to sell a tortoise in this 20 gallon aquarium as well and its eyes were swollen shut. I pointed such things out and they completely ignore me (the tortoise is no longer there). The only thing they seem to take care of well reptile-wise are their snakes.

I cannot take another beardie into my home because I may be deployed after I graduate and we have no place for her (?) in the house at the moment, nor do I have the financial budget to be able to take care of another beardie.

Please someone help this one! If not, is there a way I can get anyone on their tail to examine their reptiles' living conditions? I'd like to help these poor animals out in any way I can!

lizardgrrl

Sub-Adult Member
Has anyone else gotten back to you? They may have their animals under the coil UVB lights, which would account for the swollen eyelids on the tortoise. The red lights are worthless for dragons, only a very minimal heat source. Are there any local reptile rescues which could help? Others have had luck with their local ASPCA, and that might be another option for you. A skinny, listless dragon is not brumating, and probably very ill. Let me know what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom