Double het??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Hey I just bought a male that is apparently a translucent, het hypo and double het for tiger stripes. What does double het for tiger stripes mean? Is "double het" just that he is het for both hypo and tiger stripes? Or does the "double het" refer to just the tiger stripes?

Here's a pic, why not? :p
DSC01821.jpg

Thanks in advance :)

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Sorry to say but your dragon cant be double het for tiger stripes. If (and I say If because I dont feel tiger stripe is a morph) your dragon had 2 parents with the tiger stripe genes then the offspring would be a tiger stripe.
Now IF tiger stripe was a gene in 1 parent and not the other, then your baby would be het for stripe. Double het refers to having 2 different gene markers but not showing the physical trait.

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh okay that makes more sense. Thanks Tom! We didn't buy him for the tiger stripes though, especially considering I have no others with the tiger stripe gene that I know of, I was just curious as to what the guy could have meant by that! He didn't even mention it until we were picking him up.

As far as I know leatherback is a dominant gene so a "het leatherback" would be a leatherback, homo for the trait would be a silkback. I'd love a leatherback :)

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
There is no het leatherback. Being a co dom gene they either show it or dont.

Click on my banner and go check out the poopers in the store. Im adding more tonight or tomorrow.

Jayson745

Hatchling Member
never heard of any genetic stripes either. Although, there are recessive leatherbacks. american smoothies? Then there is the more popular dominant italian leatherback.

We actually just bought a hypo het trans microscale, which to my understanding is a recessive leather, and dominant leather at the same time. They look like a leatherback, but have no side spikes. He just got here this morning, and is pretty sweet. I'll have to see if I can get a picture or 2 later.

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Original Poster
That's true I forgot about the American smoothies! I'd love to see some pics :)
I agree about the tiger stripes, it's more of a morph than a breed. One of my babies looks like he kinda has tiger stripes:
DSC01772.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom