Double-checking my feeding sched.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Feeding is a very important part of keeping a Beardie; just wanted to make sure I got it straight.

For adult male Beardie:
Mixed and chopped veggies always available
Crickets every other day, as much as will eat in 5 min
Worms (what are the healthiest/best worms to feed on a regular basis?), 5-10 every other day

For feeding crickets:
Beardie food pellets (they have good vitamins meant for Beardies)
Fruits and veggies
Repti-Cal Herpitivite (sprinkled on every week)

Is this ok?

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Seems ok to me, but don't forget the calcium as well. I am not certain of this, but I think adults need calcium 2 or 3 times a week, and the multivitamin once a week.

The beardie pellets are not something that you have to feed the crix. I, and many others do, mostly because we happened to have them. When I run out of them, I'm not sure if I will continue to feed those or not. Just as long as you know you are feeding your crickets something healthy, then you know the crickets will be healthy.

Also, when you say crickets and worms every other day, do you mean crix one day, and worms the next? I don't think you need to feed that much protein to an adult. But, you could have meant a combination of protein every other day..

Also.. since you are getting an adult, his feeding schedule may already be pretty set-in-stone! You should communicate with the previous keeper and find out what kind of schedule they kept for him. If it is not ideal, then you can convert him to a better schedule, but it could take some time!

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
NegativeCreep":02fd7 said:
Seems ok to me, but don't forget the calcium as well. I am not certain of this, but I think adults need calcium 2 or 3 times a week, and the multivitamin once a week.

The beardie pellets are not something that you have to feed the crix. I, and many others do, mostly because we happened to have them. When I run out of them, I'm not sure if I will continue to feed those or not. Just as long as you know you are feeding your crickets something healthy, then you know the crickets will be healthy.

Also, when you say crickets and worms every other day, do you mean crix one day, and worms the next? I don't think you need to feed that much protein to an adult. But, you could have meant a combination of protein every other day..

Also.. since you are getting an adult, his feeding schedule may already be pretty set-in-stone! You should communicate with the previous keeper and find out what kind of schedule they kept for him. If it is not ideal, then you can convert him to a better schedule, but it could take some time!

At the pet store I got "ZooMed's Reptivite" and "Tetra-fauna ReptoCal", both with calcium and D3. I will bring one/both back. And both have phosphate, and I know phosphate is bad, right? What brand of calcium/d3 dust do you reccommend?

I meant that every other day I would feed a combination of worms and crix. But you do have a good point, he may already be on a feeding shedule at the vivarium, so I will check with them.

KINGSAME

Hatchling Member
REP-CAL SELLS A CALCIUM POWDER WITH VIT.D.3 PHOSPHOROUS FREE AND THEY ALSO SELL A MULTIVITAMIN ALSO.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
KINGSAME":58e2a said:
REP-CAL SELLS A CALCIUM POWDER WITH VIT.D.3 PHOSPHOROUS FREE AND THEY ALSO SELL A MULTIVITAMIN ALSO.

Yeah, I switched over the repcal's calcium. I don't remember what multivitamin I use, but it's actually running low, so when it does, I will switch to RepCal's vitamins, too...
You can find them both at petmountain.com for about $15..
We don't have a 'local' petsmart, but the last time I was in Tulsa and ran by there, they had them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syddersspams
Top Bottom