Dots/Spots inside Dixie's thighs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathb1

Hatchling Member
Hi,

I was giving her a bath today and usually give her a good look over when giving her a bath. She is 6 months and saw she has dots/spots inside thighs? Dont know if you guys can see them its faint but looks like needle pokes
I never noticed this before...
ty
Nat
[ximg]88515 76014959[/ximg]
[ximg]88515 1636883119[/ximg]

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Nat....those are called femoral pores and are perfectly normal. They are bigger on a male beardie. But your girl is fine. :)

nathb1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ahh ok thought her new decorations was giving her some kind of friction haha!Dum dum :?
Ty!

Stres

Hatchling Member
AHBD":3ohhdai0 said:
Hi Nat....those are called femoral pores and are perfectly normal. They are bigger on a male beardie. But your girl is fine. :)

Had my 3-4 month old beardie at the vets last night for a check up and she was trying to determine its sex by looking at these, she also showed me some pictures of iguanas and how there's look as well for an example of males to females. Strange how this topic popped up today !

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Your'e welcome Nat. :) And Stres, the femoral pores on a baby or juvenile dragon are usually not developed enough to determine the sex. If you want to post a couple of pics here I can probably tell you. The way to do it is to set him/her on a flat surface, even your hand if you can manage, then lift the tail straight in the air [ think of a dog that's on high alert with tail in air ] Then snap a few pics and post them here using this info.
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to attach your pics.

Stres

Hatchling Member
AHBD":pbit19cr said:
Your'e welcome Nat. :) And Stres, the femoral pores on a baby or juvenile dragon are usually not developed enough to determine the sex. If you want to post a couple of pics here I can probably tell you. The way to do it is to set him/her on a flat surface, even your hand if you can manage, then lift the tail straight in the air [ think of a dog that's on high alert with tail in air ] Then snap a few pics and post them here using this info.
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to attach your pics.

I'm struggling to get a decent picture trying to keep the dragon still and using my phone at the same time ha, but thanks for the offer AHBD .

My vet should be able to help me if I don't find out before my next visit, I feel like I struck gold having an experienced reptile vet less than 5 miles from my house, who took lots of time making sure my setup was correct and giving me lots of info about nutrition and even setup a file for my dragon documenting it's size, weight etc and making me get a detailed fecal test to check for salmonella, parasites etc .

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sounds good ! Not all vets are experienced with beardies and can cost you lots of money on top of unnecessary treatments at times. I hope you can get some pics , the tail arched is the most reliable method, it works in about 80% of babies....the femoral pores are not conclusive until the dragon is older.

nathb1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi,

Dixie didn't appreciate the violation haha
here is some pics of her behind!
88515-255456432.jpg
88515-5491346624.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Great, perfect pics! Dixie is 100% male ! That's why femoral pores are not accurate way to determine the sex !

nathb1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks AHBD!
I am kind of relieved because I have heard that the female lay eggs even if they dont mate and the eggs can get stuck or something. PHEW.
I saw some nasty looking femoral pores tho on the males. All gunky lol do they all look like that?>

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome. :) And no, they don't always get gunky....as long as they have branches and/or rocks to climb on they can usually keep them filed down so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom