DON'T WANT MY B.D. TO BE IN PAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
my b.d. has been staring up at the light in his cage and keeping his mouth open wide,is this normal or could there be a problem? also, what is the appropriate way to mist my dragon and how much misting is good?(i don't mean how many times a week , i mean the quantity.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Topic moved to Health
happymunky":24265 said:
my b.d. has been staring up at the light in his cage and keeping his mouth open wide,is this normal or could there be a problem? also, what is the appropriate way to mist my dragon and how much misting is good?(i don't mean how many times a week , i mean the quantity.
Hello
Well first let me say if he is only doing it occasionally then its normal,its called gaping.However if he is doing it consistently then it could be the sign of a problem.How often is he doing this?As for misting most do it daily outside the enclosure but this should be done in conjunction with a bath 1-2xper week as misting wont keep them properly hydrated.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
happymunky":c677b said:
he does it maybe every 2 days. so misting is not enough for hydration though?
Ok then its just normal gaping and I wouldnt worry.Its how they thermoregulate when they become too heated.No misting isnt enough you really should offer baths at least weekly.Its very simple just put them in warm water up to the armpit for about 20 minutes.Do not be suprised however if he poops in the bath as that can and generally does happen since the water is absorbed through the vent.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Ok great.Make sure the water is warm(like what you would use for a baby).Also he may not like it initially if he isnt used to it so make sure to leave your hand or something he can cling to when he is in there and dont leave him unattended.Good Luck :D

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
What feels warm to me is hot to my beardie so I ALWAYS use a temp probe to make sure the water stays about 97F. If your BD is gaping a lot you may also want to check the temps in the cage to make sure it is not too hot and that he has somewhere to cool down. Just a tip: I used to give my beardies baths in the bathtub and it was always a pain to clean up the poop and disinfect everything for human use. I bought a clear plastic bin and it is much easier to deal with. My beardies seem to be less overwhelmed by it and like that they can see through the sides so they don't feel so trapped. If they poop I can just dump it all down the toilet. I hope Toby enjoys his bath!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom