Don't know what's wrong...baby dragon is sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffsmama

Sub-Adult Member
Give him time under the basking light to warm up, and then try with the baby food again. I wouldn't try any other food right now besides the baby food. You can also soak him in a warm bath after he warms up to make sure he doesn't get dehydrated, but keep trying with the baby food. I wouldn't give up completely on him as long as he is alive.

jodie92203

Original Poster
Well, he's still not eating anything. I've tried everything I can think of, even hand feeding the baby squash. This is just one unhappy, sick, dragon. So, I called the pet shop today. I told them how they sold me the wrong stuff, and all the adjustments I had to make to the tank. I also told them I have a very unhealthy animal they sold me. I said all the things I've done to go above and beyond in trying to nurse him back to good health. I asked about him possibly being too young to handle the relocation stress and adjustments. She said that a bearded dragon can be sold once it's 2 DAYS old because it doesn't depend on its parents for anything. She told me the infrared lamp had to be used because it's the only way it can get heat. I told her my regular light bulb made it 20 degrees hotter and she said I must just have some extra hot light bulbs. ??!!! I'm supposed to bring the lil guy in this evening to chat with the owner who sold it to me. At this point, I don't even care about my 60$ if it means he'll be thrown away or mistreated. I'm debating whether I should bring him back in or just chalk it up to a bad experience and move on. Then I can let him die in peace at least. I do have to go there to pick up the screen top they ordered for me though.
I'm guessing I'll just have to go to a breeder next time. Hopefully there's one close by since I live outside of Chicago and it's a main city.
I'd like to thank you all for your genuine concern and all the help you've given me. I've learned a LOT so far. I just feel very unfortunate that my first experience with the bearded dragons has ended this way. Again, thanks for helping me out and never making me feel stupid or ignorant with all the questions. I'll keep you posted and hopefully have good news one way or the other.

annieoakley123

Sub-Adult Member
AW im really sorry. I know exactly what your going though. Just about everyone here has dealt with the same misleading information and then have to fix them and possibly suffer the consequences. All I can say is keep up with hydrating him, try hand feeding as much as possible and keep him warm. Have you tried reptiaid for malurished and dehydrated reptiles? Its a mix you add with water and make a slurry. When my baby was sick he loved the stuff....i think thats what kept him alive. Reptiaid is usually at major pet stores, I got mine at a local pet store.
Good Luck with your baby

puffsmama

Sub-Adult Member
Oh--I am so sorry nothing is working. My worry too is that the pet store will just throw him away even if he is still alive. I wish I lived near you, I would come and try to help you nurse him back to health. Keep offering warm baths for now, and keep offering the baby food as long as he is still alive. If you keep giving him warm baths, he should at least take in water through his vent and stay hydrated. Does anybody else here have any ideas on how to make the baby's mouth open so food can be directly put in his mouth? I guess if it was me, I would try to open his mouth myself and put the food right in his mouth. Good luck, and please continue to keep us posted. If you go in to talk to the owner, let us know what he says.
If you are willing to get some reptaid, I would give that a try as well. I've seen some that comes in a tube, and if you can get his mouth open, you can maybe get some of that on his tongue. It supposedly helps increase their appetite too.
Cindy and Puff

annieoakley123

Sub-Adult Member
You can try and find a tiny plastic syringe and use that to prop open his mouth. ease the corner on the syringe between his lips on the side of his mouth till he opens it. once they try it and like it they get the idea and from there he may just lick it off his mouth. I got mine at the vet so you could try there.... maybe they will give you a free one!

Oh! if you get the Reptiaid it comes with a syringe!!

puffsmama

Sub-Adult Member
Also, continue to keep him under the light to keep him warm except for baths and trying to feed him. I guess at this point I would keep him under a warm light round the clock so he doesn't get cold at night. Poor little guy. I wish there was something else we could try.
Cindy again

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm so sorry that he is still not doing well. Keeping him well hydrated is a very big thing. Does he move at all when you hold him? This is the Repta-Aid that we're talking about, it just might give him the boost he needs: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=6016+10442+18471&pcatid=18471 With a needleless syringe, you could put a little vegetable oil on it and slide it in the side of his mouth, you could use a little bit of chicken baby food and squash mixed together diluted with either a little Pedialyte or water. He needs to get some food into him. Once he gets a taste, he should like it. You can also stroke his beard to encourage swallowing. I would try the giving the baby food that way now and then tomorrow get the Repta-Aid. We're not ready to give up on him yet. Do you have a reptile vet near you, perhaps a calcium injection and/or B12 would help give him a boost so that he has some fight in him.

I also agree that it's a good idea to keep him warmer at night. Do you have a ceramic heat emitter or a black light? Did you lower the basking area during the day and increase the bulb wattage to get the right temps? What is the temp of the area where he has been laying during the day?

jodie92203

Original Poster
Just wanted to update...
I called the petshop yesterday morning and told her everything going on. I said I talked to a herp vet and they said the bark wasn't safe, and the lights needed to be hotter, not red, etc. I told her how the lil guy wasn't eating anything and how I've given him baths, baby food, etc. She advised me to come in the evening and talk to the owner's son since he's who I've been dealing with. So I did.
I brought the dragon with me and I honestly didn't even know if he was alive because he was so lethargic. I walked in and the guy said, "So I heard you talked to a bad vet and got some really terrible advice, huh." I was shocked. I'm like noooo, but I got a really sick dragon. He looked at him and said nothing was impacted near the vent. (Duh, he isn't eating a single thing to get impacted!) Then he said his eye was swollen and he looked very ill. He put him in the tank there and said he'd "bake the crap outta him tonight and see if he'll come around." Then he told me I could have the other one free of charge. It's "from the same batch, but with way better colors. 40$ more but I won't charge you." I asked him if I could take the old one back and let him die at my house, but at least give him one last chance and not have him "baked." Just in the matter of 10 minutes talking, we went back to the tank and he was gone. :( I was seriously in tears. I just put so much effort into this and everything has been such a negative experience. I can't handle a goldfish dying, let alone a lil lizard with personality! He said I should have called him because I'm getting bad advice. Whatever dude. I also gave him back the infrared bulb and he told me it must just be defected. A regular light bulb isn't hot enough and the "vet" must not know anything. Then I told him I bought a real thermometer with probe, and not his stick on kind, and that it's actually 25 degrees hotter than his red bulb.

So, where I'm at right now is, I don't know what to do about the new one. Right now, we're headed out of town for the weekend. He's supposedly holding it for me til Monday. I'm just not sure what to do. What if he gets sick too? What if it's their dragons and they're sick or something? He told me that every batch has one or two that don't make it and I must have gotten that one. The new one did look like it had nice colors and it was VERY alert! I swear he cocked his head sideways to look at me. He said this one was bigger, and I thought he meant a few inches, but it's like half an inch bigger, so it's still tiny. Do you think it'd be okay to take it? Now that I know what to do and what signs to look for? I don't want to waste all that money either. Do I need to bleach out the entire tank now?

Thank you all soooooo very much for all the help. It's been so difficult, but I'm determined to turn things around and have a positive experience. I hope this will be a thing of the past and that I can move on and raise a happy healthy bearded dragon in the future, just as we intended. Again, thanks much. I really appreciate it.

Delshara

Hatchling Member
I've been following your thread because, just like you experienced, the pet store we got Nero at didn't know anything.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your baby sounds like he was a fighter, and he had a human that loved him.

Neromom39

Gray-bearded Member
Hi There!

Please accept my condolences for the loss of your little baby. I can sympathize with your efforts and emotions as I just lost aa baby as well because we just couldn't get him to eat. The only difference is I purchased mine from a breeder. Some babies just don't make it :( There may have been some contributing factors, stress being a major one, but if you know that you did everything you could to help him, then he may have just been too weak.

As tempting as it is to engage in "this is what you're doing wrong" confrontation with the pet shop guy, unfortunately nothing you say is going to make him believe that he needs to improve the husbandry for his reptiles. I mean, years of medical school (vet) vs. lame pet store guy... and the vet doesn't know what he is talking about :shock:

As far as obtaining a new one from the same place, you have to follow your heart and gut. You are armed with much more information that you were before. If you don't feel comfortable getting another baby from that pet shop, I would hold off. But if you decide to, make sure he/she is alert and appears healthy. Because the new one is a bit bigger (don't underestimate a half an inch, that's huge in the baby beardie world) then it's chances of thriving in your home is increased.

And of course we are all here to help you with any questions you may have :wink:

Robin

puffsmama

Sub-Adult Member
I'm so sorry your baby died. You are a wonderful beardie parent, and I know you did everything you possibly could to bring him around. Just know that he died knowing he was loved. Good luck with your decision about the new baby the pet store is offering you. It would be a tough decision to make. let us know what you do and we want pics of whatever new dragon you bring home!!
Puffsmama

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Oh ! Big hugs for you ! You certainly did everything right, after we made suggestions. I wouldn't get one from that young man, for the reasons stated above. But, I would like to suggest breeders we have here, and they won't let their babies go to anyone until they are quite old enough !
Tom- http://www.tnddragons.com/ ( He is in PA, and can ship to you, how about 2 ? ;))
Brian-http://www.crypticdragons.com/
Lance-twobeadieguy ( he doesn't have a site, but you can contact him here on the forum, just pm him.
There are others too !
I feel your pain, been there and back, now loaded with 3 of my own, and sitting a 4th.
Janie.

Neromom39

Gray-bearded Member
Janie is right.

And since you already have the set-up, buying from a breeder (whether local or not) you would benefit from getting a dragon that is READY to go to a new home.

I second the notion of buying from one of the BD.ORG members that are breeders... Tom needs the room :wink:

Might I also recommend Anthony (beardedwizard) at Annapolis Bearded Dragons - http://www.annapolisbeardeddragon.com/. He has some nice babies that are big and healthy (I have one, so I know :wink: )

Good luck with whatever you decide. You make the right choice when the time is right for you.

Robin

annieoakley123

Sub-Adult Member
I am SO sorry!! That had to be terrible dealing with that guy and that to happen right there. :cry:

I really think you should consider a beardie that is for sale on this site. I had issues with my first one I got from a pet store then my second I bought off of a thread on here. I decided to get an older one since they are a little more established and it has been a joy with him. http://www.thedragonhut.com is where I got him.

Good luck and my sympathies

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
I am so sorry with what happened
You and I worked hard to get everything right in your previous post but the pet store just caused the problems.
Bake the dragon? Seriously? Wow...that is just unbelievable
Bad vet? Hmm when all the people who are advising you on the care all of healthy lively dragons are we seriously all that bad?
And was he looking at the vent for impaction? Doesn't even know how to check wow.

I will be honest I got mine from a pet store with all the wrong information, he was filled with parasites, I will never buy from a pet store again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anastasiacolson
Top Bottom