Dominance Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hercircus

As mentioned before, I currently have 2 baby dragons in the same enclosure. I posted a pic in the "introduction" thread that showed one dragon on top of the other and several people pointed out that this could be a dominance issue. I noticed more of this today, however it's not one particular dragon doing it, they seem to be taking turns. Both the dragons are the same size, both have been basking, eating, and they both have been doing lots of waving which I've been told is a submissive gesture.

Thoughts?

gzambran

It sounds like it could be a dominance issue. Beardies should be house in single cages- they aren't really social creatures except for during breeding season. There have been many cases of dragons injuring or even eating each other when housed together! They can be very territorial and aggressive to others of their species. It is important that you get another cage and separate them before one of them gets bitten or scratched by the other. Even if they appear to be getting along it would be wise to separate them so that they do not get stressed out over competition for food, basking spot, hiding spot etc. The submissive dragon will suffer by not having access to these resources when he/ she needs them. I know that many pet stores house young dragons together, which creates the image that group housing is proper husbandry for them. When they are very young juveniles, it is acceptable but as they grow up and go through puberty the aggression and stress that comes along with defending territory makes it very dangerous to allow them to live in the same vivarium. Its great that you are observing them and caught onto more subtle signs before and actual conflict occurred between your dragons. If they seem to enjoy each other's company (besides the one standing on top of the other) you could still allow them to interact during SUPERVISED floor time- just be vigilent and keep an eye out for any signs of aggression. I would highly recommend that they live in separate vivariums.

tanya1974

Hatchling Member
firstly i respect your view and here is mine........ on reading many books and articles it has been shown to provide evidence that bearded dragons infact are very social creatures.

How many bearded dragons do i get, if you want a single pet, an indervidual bearded dragon will fare well enough , alothugh
males in perticular may display signs if social deprevation by displaying their social behaviors .Because bearded dragons are social
creatures.... page 18 bearded dragon manual.

In the wild they rise at dawn and are found not only by them self but in groups basking for heat on fences rocks and road sides ect. i have a colony and have raised babys , no nips or missing limbs. babys and adults alike have two bowls constantly full of food in the vivs at oppasite ends . as well as a greens bowl. sometimes they lay on each other some times they are at diffrent ends of the vivs. it is not always a bad thing . as long as you keep an eye on them and the viv is big enough for there needs , plus always have pleny of food in the tank ( little cat bowls the ceramic ones , the bugs cant get out of them. ) at each end of the tank wait and see before you seprate them. unless there male and female of course.

food for thought Eric burns transactional analisis ( games people play ) we all have roles nomatter what species we are . we all have times of submission and of domanance as well as many other roles. animals are no diffrent at all. sometimes i am submissive to my husband and sometimes am the domentat one . its the same with my children . sapphire is the edlest dragon and angle and amber have learnt behaviours from her, its also called respect.everybody has there place at work and at home and in the wild.... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom