Doesnt this bother you??

Status
Not open for further replies.
..when people dont understand how attached you get to a beardie? i recently lost my 2 year old who i had since he was a hatchling, i loved him more than anything in the entire world! and everyone (besides my close friends and family) would look at me like....."ok..its just a reptile..its not a dog!" god does that make me mad!! :banghead: any animal you bring into your life becomes a family member, and you can get attached no matter what their size, shape, whatever! i dont really think people understand how adorable and loving a little dragon can be..it makes me so upset. I think i was more in love with my beardie than any dog or cat i've ever had :D

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Dont worry about what other people think..WE get it and thats all that counts.I am sorry you lost your beardie I know how sad that makes you feel.Just remember your feelings are your feelings dont ever let anyone question them.There yours and yours alone and they are justified.

Tatty

Juvie Member
Unfortunately, people are predjudiced in their understanding of reptiles. My reptiles behave better and are better housepets than any dog or cat. They all have absolutely charming qualities. They bond with you at the level of any cat or dog. I try to correct ignorance every where I find it and consider myself fortunate that I can reap the affections of a gentle creature that isn't just like everyone elses idea of what a pet should be.

Tatty

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Yes, it does bother us. That's why we come here for the comfort we only get half way from our friends and family. With one exception, most of those that we know, including my family, are sympathetic, but we can tell they are only sharing sympathy because we are upset. The one exception is a nice lady I've know for 26 years now and my husband has known here more. This lady really loves all animals, sometimes she even trys to give water to bugs when we are out in the boonies riding our quads.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
It does bother me. My family and friends think im mad when I harp on about my dragons.
The absolute worst thing for me though is that I have had two rescues, and when i have explained to people that Ruben is missing two legs they grimace at me and generally say things like "why didnt you get a proper one?".
MUSTNT.....SHOUT.....AT.....PEOPLE!!!!

But Ive learnt that the outside world can be incredibly ignorant about reptiles and the deep connections they forge with us.
Thats why I come here, where people love their dragons like children, and genuinely care about yours too.

Holly

slavetoIzzie

Sub-Adult Member
Yes. But that's why I'm here so much! My husband tries, my family tries, but they just can't comprehend the emotional connection I have with my Izzie. I have had a ton of pets growing up but of them all, Izzie is the most amazing of all! He gives me the kind of unconditional love of a dog, with the manipulative artistry of a cat and the complete trust that is uniquely his. I mean, he is more cuddly and lovey-dovey than my rabbits!

When I first joined this site, I was looking for help and advice. I got it and so much more. I discovered a huge new extended family. Everyone here understands and accepts our "addiction". We don't just sympathize with your pain, we feel it with you. And when you find a new beardie to love, we'll rejoice with you as well.

Tatty

Juvie Member
I once had a former boss chastise me for having beardies. He told me that "having those thngs wasn't a good image for someone who worked where I did" He was also afraid of "his family or his dogs catching something from them" and whenever they would see me walk by in the neighborhood with one of my babies riding on my shoulder on a hot summer day, they would look at me like I was a leper and quickly hurry inside their home. The supervisor below him also gave me a talking to about taking them to classes for kids to see and enjoy on my own free time and tried to tell me that he didn't want me to continue to do this on my own free time. I was infuriated but because he threatened to write me up, I couldn't let him know about it anymore. He was always saying "that if some kid got sick from the things" that it would give my workplace a bad image. I felt violated! The ironic thing is that both those men who chastised me are now gone. One took a better job and the other got fired. Now no-one tells me what to do regarding beardies because I got a management position last year and have my own office. when power went out due to an ice storm, I actually took my incubator and beardie eggs up to my office and plugged it in til power came back. The Lord does look out for those of us who are patient and longsuffering and I give him glory for that. But sometimes the ignorance of people infuriates me :banghead:
Tatty

Elaina

Juvie Member
Wow- Tatty- I gotta know more about where you work. Seriously- your own free time is your own!!!!!

I can also relate to the feeling of people that don't get it. Losing a beardie is a horrible, painful event just as it is losing any other pet, a part of your family, and it hurts. If I got my sight set on a roach, I'd fall in love with it too. I thank God we have the ability to have more open hearts than some other people. Most people close to me feel sympathy because I am sad, not because they get it. And that's fine, at least they care. When I was a kid..it was like Dr. Doolittle's house. There were puppies, parrots, lovebirds, farm animals, alll kinds of fish, guinea pigs, mice..you name it. All animals all the time. I learned that during an icestorm, my Dad brought the two goats in the house-THEY SLEPT IN THIER BED- and also the baby chickens and eggs..all over the kitchen next to the gas stove to keep warm. Rabbits. Pigs. Geese. You get it. When my Dad's macaw got herself stuck between her cage bars and almost hung herself to death, the man was crying all the way to the vet, the whole time there..(it was a cage he made BTW because he wanted her to have lots o room..like we make vivs) So tell me how when I lost my first beardie, or when my guys have gotten very ill, that my Dad doesn't get it? He doesn't. He said flush it and get another one. Yeah he did. Believe it or not, he's not a jerk, and I still love him. But some people do NOT get it. We get it. And coming to this site is like being home. :blob5:

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
Yes and it makes me so upset. I lost a beardie in July and I was out of it for a week at work. My bosses were saying it's just a pet. No, to me it's not just a pet, it's family. I care about beardies more than I care about family. I cried more about that beardie then I have for people that I knew who have died. My pets ARE my kids. To me they are the same as my flesh and blood. Anyway, that week I got called in for a meeting with human resources and my boss for being sloppy, inaccurate, needing a day off etc. Whatever...they have cold hearts and that is why they are lonely people. My boyfriend is the only one who minutely understands my love for my animals.

...and I'm sorry, all animals are created equal. A life is a life. A dog is not better than a lizard, a human is not more important than a dog or lizard, etc. to me all LIVES are created equal and in my opinion, you only get one.

Tatty

Juvie Member
Elaina:

I thought I would let you know that I no longer work for the same place where I had the trouble. I got a management job and I love it. At the present time, I don't have to listen to any ingnorant and infuriating comments about my lizards. If I have an occassional special request to bring them to a school, I can write myself out for half of a vacation day and enjoy the show and tell with the kids. The bright side is the most people react very positive to beardies and come away with a new found respect or admiration for them. Only a hand ful of people have ever said anything negative. The worse person to create problems for me was a former self righteous co-worker who was a tattle tale and tale bearer who started a rumor that I had mental problems because I liked these things. And she got this guy I used to work for believing these things so I put up with about 5 years of harrassment just because they got a rumor started that I was "different" or crazy because of my taste. Well, I have nothing to do with that former tattle tale and that old boss who used to spread slander and hate got fired after I got my new job. Turns out that he was guilty of employee harrassment, using his authority to get even with others, taking things from desks, and other things he shouldn't. The only thing people comment on now is the job I do and no one on the board of directors digs into my hobbies or personal life to try to put me down.

If a beardie doesn't like someone, beware, they probably have a good reason.

Tatty :roll:

cupcake143

Original Poster
Wow im really glad to know everyone gets aggravated about this and can relate. People at work are especially horrible (i can relate to you Tatty!) i was SO upset for an entire week when i lost my beardie and my boss was like.....ok, cant you just get over it? It made me feel even worse. I have welcomed another beardie into my family though! I didnt mean to rush things but i love having them and he filled the empty spot that i was feeling from the death of my other one. No pet can be exactly replaced, but getting another does help :D His name is Punkin and hes a sweetheart, so if no one else can see that..well they can go on being closed minded and cold hearted about life. Any animal can become a family member, whether they have scales or fur....

msmaui

Juvie Member
To me, any little animal we own are like our children. I have 2 grown daughters and grown grandchildren. My dragon and my 2 cats are "the kids." Sometimes I think I take better care of them than I did my children when they were little. Well, you learn with age.

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
This is a wonderful thread!!! All my life I was like OOOOOOOOOO ewwwwwwwwwww lizards,snakes etc.... In the last 1 1/2 years I have handled snakes that a friend of mine has and then fell in lkove with his beardie. I saw this adorable little face looking at me through his tank and just love(D) him at first sight and still get to go play with him as often as I like. I hate to see any animals mistreated but never gave much thought to snakes,lizards or anything like that.
Now after months of waiting (which gave me good time to research and learn) I am the proud owner of a gorgeous orange colored beardie and a snow gecko. My beardie is so cuddly,she nuzzles her way to sleep each night on either me,my husband or my son. She has a wonderful personality and we all love her.
My great big bear of a husband is reduced to a teddy bear around her,constantly petting and loving on her and talking to her and cuddling her to sleep.My son loves her with all his little heart(that's what he says) and adores bathing,feeding,cuddling. His teacher has requested that I bring her to school one day after it warms a little,she says she wants to see it but not hold it and that is ok,but I think she'll like Alf once she sees her.
My hubby says she is a truly manificent creature and he would rather have her than a dog or cat he's completeky taken with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom