Doesn't Like Me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fellwolfpaw

Hey. I've had Waldo for about 2 and a half months now and he still doesn't seem to like me. He's NOT aggressive at all but when I try to pick him up ( I first show him my hand ) he always runs away. I don't know what's wrong. He also always tries to escape from me! :( I hold him often and stroke his back. Please help me :!:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So you've had him for 2 1/2 months but how old is he? When you go to pick him up do you pick him up from overhead? If so, you hand could form a shadow from his lights reminding him of a predator. The best way to pick them up is to either slide your hand under one of his sides or from the front and under his chest. Have you given him a bath at night and then wrapped him up in a towel or small blanket and laid him on your chest with you rubbing his back? Let me know what you've tried & his age, we can go further.

fellwolfpaw

Original Poster
He's about 3 months. I have to pick him up from overhead the way his terrarium is. I haven't done the towel thing

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I was just reading one of the threads where you and I had discussed some things before. Do you have a digital thermometer with a long wire & probe end or a temperature gun now? What are the basking & cool side temps? Would it be possible for you to slide the screen (if you're using one) so that you can pick him up another way besides from over his head? That makes such a big difference.

fellwolfpaw

Original Poster
I have the tempgun now. The temps are 100 and 90. I have a sliding screen on top and that's the only way I can get to him. HELP!!!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How old is he? I'm glad that you have a temp gun now. What size tank is it and what wattage basking bulb(s) are you using? Is the basking bulb a colored or white bulb? What brand and type of UVB do you have and how close is that bulb to your beardie? Your cool side temp of 90 is too high, it should actually be about 80 so it isn't allowing him to thermo-regulate properly which is very important. The reason I'm asking these questions is because if any of these setup conditions are a little off, it can affect the way your beardie behaves. Have you been bathing him, how often?

Even with a sliding screen, rather then putting your hand over his head to pick him up, you can slide your fingers under the front of his chest instead or under his side. Have you tried the wrapping in a blanket (beardie buritto) yet? That really does help with the bonding. Another thing that would really help get him used to your hand is offering drinks of 100% diluted juice, in flavors of cherry, grape, apple or cranberry. Dilute with 3 to 4 parts water to 1 part juice. Use a plastic medicine dropper and put drips on his water for him to lick off. Something else is handfeeding, have you tried that?

Please fill us in on the unanswered questions, so we can help figure this out together.

fellwolfpaw

Original Poster
He is about 2 and a half months. The tank is 40G and I'm using 100 watt bulbs. During the day I use a white bulb and at night red. He is 10 inches from the UVB it's ReptiSun 10.0. I bathe him 2 a week. I'll do burrito thing. Thanks :D

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Hi there ! I too have new kids, and don't they just test you ! I have one in a 20 breeder, with a screen on top, but I place my hand just in front of him with a roach or a piece of fruit (raspberry, peeled grape, cantaloupe) to entice him in my hand... Things are going slow, as he is the scardicate of the three I have. I have placed a worn (by my older boy) tee shirt in one corner near his basking spot that he snugs down into at night so Gemini can get his scent, and this is helping. James ( the older boy) talks to Gemini constantly before, during and after doing anything in the viv. Gemini is starting to come around, perks his little head around the paper, and the cardboard we placed on all 4 sides to reduce too much stimulation, and almost looks like he wants to get into the hand. Just give yours the time, and move slowly, he will come around, and be your little snuggle bug soon.
Hope this helps out !
Janie.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So, he's a little guy then. :p I noticed that you mentioned you're using 100 watt bulbs in the 40 gallon, are you using more than one 100 watt bulb? If you are using 2, then I suggest you only use 1 in the basking area and a lower wattage household bulb on the cool side. The cool side temp should be around 80 degrees, that's very important so he can thermo-regulate properly.

Is the Repti-Sun 10.0 a strip fluorescent or a coil/compact bulb? If it's the fluorescent, then he should be 6 to 8" from it or it won't be much benefit to him. If it's a compact or coil bulb, please turn it off right away as those are very dangerous, causing all kinds of serious health problems.

Also, increasing his baths to at least 3 to 4 times a wk is a good idea especially since he hasn't been able to thermo-regulate properly as that can cause dehydration.

You don't need any nighttime heating unless you room temp drops below 65 degrees. They need to be cooler at night and the colored bulbs can disturb their sleep. If your temp does get close to 65 degrees, then we suggest using a ceramic heat emitter that gives off heat but no light.

Let us know how the buritto goes. :wink:

laura_leigh

Something I did that REALLY helped Falcor get used to me handling him is feeding him his crickets in a seperate container. I would get him out and put him in the feeding bin to eat his crickets. This did two things, he associated my hand with something good (feeding time) as well as kept the crickets finding hiding spaces in Falcor's cage enabling them to make dinner of him. I stopped doing this a while back, and let me tell you, I can really tell the difference in his behavior already. We will definately be going back to the old method once we get moved.

Another idea is to toss some blankets (just for your comfort) in the bathtub (no water)and lay down in there with him on your chest just rubbing him down his back. He won't be able get out of the bathtub and will basically be forced to interact with you. I've not had any luck with the burrito thing as Falcor goes nuts when he is completely restrained.

If you try both of these things on a daily basis (several times a day won't hurt either) you will have your baby loving you in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom