Does this stuff work is it harmful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

015reddog

ChiTownns":cae05 said:

I wouldn't chance it with this stuff. I have heard too many stories with bad endings. I would go with the recommended substrates that are usually talked about on this board. Number one being ceramic tile.

Best,
Dog

ChiTownns

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
015reddog":aedf3 said:
ChiTownns":aedf3 said:

I wouldn't chance it with this stuff. I have heard too many stories with bad endings. I would go with the recommended substrates that are usually talked about on this board. Number one being ceramic tile.

Best,
Dog

okay thanks it was just a random question.

Doddins

Hatchling Member
015reddog":f1634 said:
ChiTownns":f1634 said:

Best,
Dog

im not thinking of getting this but its sparked up some curiosity...can anyone link me to some threads with bad stories in relation to this kinda thing?
because im still not convinced about Sand being the "evil" substrate everyone makes it out to be since its from their natural environment.
surely in the wild beardies burrow and live with sandy and grainy environments.

if something brings your viv closer to the environment they live in naturally, aint this a good thing?

please be aware im not pitching my ideas for an argument, im very far from it. curious more than anything

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
Doddins":ae0ed said:
because im still not convinced about Sand being the "evil" substrate everyone makes it out to be since its from their natural environment.
surely in the wild beardies burrow and live with sandy and grainy environments.
if something brings your viv closer to the environment they live in naturally, aint this a good thing?
please be aware im not pitching my ideas for an argument, im very far from it. curious more than anything

Curiosity is a wonderful thing and it's conversations like these that help to inform and progress the hobby.

The areas that wild dragons live in is mostly hard baked/packed sand, not the loose stuff like you'd find on our beaches. Plus, while we do want to make our enclosures as naturalistic as possible, we also want to keep our dragons as safe as possible and there are some elements of a wild dragon's environment that contribute to them having fairly short life spans. That being said, I don't think that sand is evil, but I do think that there are some risks (impaction for young dragons or for adults who like to eat their substrate, potential for bacterial growth) and hassles (it's dusty and gets everywhere) involved in using it and I choose not to go with that option for my dragon. I do, however, use a different loose substrate (bed-a-beast) with my adult because I've weighed the different factors and found the risk acceptable (she eats all her food out of a bowl, doesn't lick her environment, and only poops in the bathtub). It's all about doing the research, knowing the pros and cons involved, and then making the best informed decision you can for you and your dragon(s). I do believe, though, that all babies/young dragons should be kept on a solid substrate since they are so much more prone to impaction and to trying to eat everything. Once they're an adult your options are much more varied. :)

Tigg

Juvie Member
One thing that needs to be brought up here is that it IS true that a BD in it's natural habitat will come in contact with sand... Most people here do say that sand is not EVIL (play sand) the horror stories you hear and what people here to you to stay away from is CALCI-SAND...

Regular play sand while not being the best choice is a lot better than calcisand, one sure fire way of proving this to yourself is to take the 2, and pour some water onto them, let them dry, and look at the end result... while the play sand will clumb when wet, it will crumble and return to it's original state once dry. Calcisand on the other hand will almost turn to rock, and it will stay that way.

Another problem you need to be aware of is the risk of Calcium overdose, since most of us dust out feeders, most forget they lizards can absorb calcium through their skin.

I will agree the risk of impaction is lower than more people make it out to be however there IS still a risk... Kind of like letting your child run around with a knife... While chances of the kid falling a hurting themselfs are low... why risk it??

Doddins

Hatchling Member
Thanks guys :)
its all interestng stuff and stuff to learn, i dint mean to come across as argumentive on the subject (just incase it came across that way)

was just curiousity more than anything and as always im greatful of people like you all with the experience to happily help and guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom