does my Beardie seem happy enough??

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddevil

Hi there,

I've had my Beardie for about 3 years now and I've noticed that she does less and less. As a baby she used to eat the occasional veg, she used to be active and have a little run on the night whenever i got her out, she also poo'd regulary.
Now I find she just sleeps all day and when I get her out its not long before she goes under the tv stand and falls asleep there.
She poos about once every 6-8 weeks which I'm concerned about,she will not eat greens etc despite me putting them in her dish daily. She seems happy enough and she doesn't look ill to me, but when I read about other peoples beardies they seem to be more active and healthy. Is it something I'm doing wrong? I love her and want her to have a happy life.

Any help or advice would be greatly apprieciated x

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello,

I can definitely see why you are concerned(poops every 6-8 wks). I would be concerned too.
The older beardies do tend to slow down quite a bit more as far as activity goes. When I get my girl Rex(5 yrs)out of her viv she tends to find somewhere to take a nap also.
She doesn't eat a whole lot either,usually I have to entice her with worms and/or handfeeding to get her started. She's so spoiled!!!
Adult dragons generally do not poop every day, more like every 2-3 days. Do you give her baths for hydration?
I hate to ask you this since you don't have a new set up, but what type bulbs are you using and how old is your uvb bulb?

Dawn

maddevil

Original Poster
Hi,
Thanks for replying to me. I tend to give her a bath every 7-10 days and she used to poo after having a bath when I put her back in her viv, but it doesn't seem to be the case anymore. She has a Repti Sun 10 in which is about 4 months old, I understand that they need to be replaced about every 6 months. She has a 60w Hallogen sun bulb for basking and she has a 40w purple night bulb on at bed time.
Her temps seem to be ok like, Her basking area is about 95-98 and the cooler end about 90.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello again,

I have another question for you...what kind of live feeders is she eating? If she is not eating any veggies, are the feeders the only thing she is eating?
Have you tried a variety of veggies/greens with her. I know one week my beardie is all about Collards and the next week she only wants mustard greens. They do like a little variety.

When was the last time she pooped? When was the last time you gave her a bath?

For an adult the basking temps you have are good, the cool end though seems a little high. It would be better if it was around 80-85.
As for the purple bulb you are using at night,you might want to get rid of that. Some beardies do not do well with those. They prefer complete darkness. The colored lights disrupt sleep. That could account for her lethargy during the day.
Are you using the purple light for heat at night? If it's for heat I would suggest getting a CHE(ceramic heat emitter).It only gives off heat and no light.

The other possibility is Brumation(hibernation). Since your girl is 3 yrs old, she could be brumating. Are you familiar with that?

Sorry about all the questions. I really want to help you get to the bottom of this.
I too worry about my beardie and it is hard when you don't know what's going on with them. They are like having small children who can't tell you what hurts.

I'll be waiting to hear from you... :)

Dawn

maddevil

Original Poster
Hi Dawn/Hayley,

The live things she eats are locusts and the occasional wax worms as a treat-which I am trying to cut down giving her as I know they contain a lot of fat. I have tried alsorts of greens, different veg and fruit but she really aint interested at all. What are Collard greens and Mustard greens? I'm in the Uk so maybe we cannot get them here?

She last had a bath the night before last, how often should I bath her? I think she last poo'd between christmas and new year.

As for the purple night light, it is used both for a little heat and for her to see where she is going etc at night as she has always had one from being a baby. I fear if Ieave her in total darkness she might freak out.

I'm not too sure what Brumation is but I will look it up on here.

Lin x

maddevil

Original Poster
Well my beardie had a bath lastnight and I gave her another one tonight. I mashed up a bit of apple and added a smidge of olive oil to it and surprisingly she did eat a little bit from my finger. Lets see if that helps her poo problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom