Does a bigger viv = a more active beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Has any one noticed a change in their beardies activity levels after moving them to a biggere viv? Dudleys in a 40g breeder right now, but Ive REALLY been wanting to get him a nice 4 x 2 viv, with doors that open in the front or sliding glass doors (Hopefully for Christmas!!). If he does get a bigger viv, do you think he will be more active? Hes usually a pretty lazy little dude, so Im wondering if a bigger viv will motivate him to move around a little more... He is a good sized beardie, and his 40B is looking a little small!

BTW, does anyone know of a website or person that has vivs for fairly cheap? My budget would probably be around $100-$150, so Im not sure if anyone would sell them for that cheap. Im a 16 year old girl, and Im not trusted with power tools so I cant really build one LOL. Ive been looking for an old dresser to possibly convert though.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
It might have made them a little more active. IDK for sure. I only had mine in a smaller viv for like a month, but they definitely take advantage of it.

carpedraconum

Hatchling Member
i can't remember if its carolinadesignerdragons.com or georgisbeardeddragon.com, but one of them has a link to a site that has a 4x2 for around 180 and it is a quality that I am looking to get. I think it boamasters, not sure though. I know its a little higher, but it is hard to finf a tank that cheap unless you look on craigslist

Drew

i moved mine from a 30g tank to an 80g tank (big jump) but he loves it, i've never seen him more active. especially when i put stuff in he seems to want to explore more than anything :)

triumphtt

Juvie Member
I bought this as a store in my town called Restore York where people just donate stuff then they sell it and money goes to the town. Look for something like that. I got this whole thing for $35. gutted it and turned it into....

this! No power tools used except to cut the tile, but you can get tiles on clearence at lowes and they cut them down for ya.

I'll make my own post when i get it all done but I just used basic tools.

GunRack

I moved one of my large females from a 40 gallon to a 90gallon- at first she was cruising around checking it out. Then she wasnt really interested anymore. She seemed bummed out, as the 40 was on top of my desk and the 90 was on a stand behind me. So i put her back in the 40, and she is active again and watches me work all day hah.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Thanks every one! Hopefully I can get a bigger viv!

Ive been searching the thrift store for dressers, but they are never quite right- Not wide enough, super beaten up, too expensive... Ill check out that one site though! $180 is still pretty reasonable. The other ones I was checking out were $300+!

Jetbo

You should look at monster-cages.com they have some great 4ft light plastic cages and shipping should be cheap for you since your in the same state.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Thanks! Ill check it out!

I looked on the Boamasters site, and they have a 4 x 2 for $140! Its melamine though, and I really wanted a black one, so if I get one I might just cough up a little extra money for the black $200 PVC one. It looks nicer than the melamine IMO.
Has anyone ever ordered from Boamasters? How did you like their vivs? The one thing I hate about ordering online is that you cant see it first...

I think Twin Cities Reptiles has custom 4 x 2 vivs, but theyre a little pricey there. Well see.

RedInkAus

Hatchling Member
Just as a point bigger viv does not always mean more activity, behavioural expectations and attidues do not always corelate with vivarium size. They will have more room to move around therefore may seem more active as there's more space but to try and trigger behavioural activites you may need more stuff than just extra space. Either way bigger viv is always good, but "more active" will be based on your own definition and expectations.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
LOL, my only expectation woud be that he would move from his basking spot during the day :p Id be happy with that.

At the monster-cages site, a 24" high one was $275, and thats a little more than I wanted to pay. Nice vivs though.

Id still rather build my own though :( Maybe I could convince someone to help me...

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
K, I found out that you can order a different color for the melamine viv! the dimensions are 4 x 28 x 17, so its 4" wider :D For $140, its not a bad deal. I showed it to my mom, and I think Ill start saving my babysitting money! LOL :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom