Do you really need the lights installed inside?

Mango44

Beardie name(s)
Mango
If you have the lights on top of the screen will your bearded dragon eventually get sick?

I spent $300 and $200 lights and am considering how it’s possible to even put the lights inside the box without any place for it.

Is giving some extra vitamins enough for the 30% lack of uva and b from it being on the screen? Has there been any long term studies on this?
Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If you have the lights on top of the screen will your bearded dragon eventually get sick?

I spent $300 and $200 lights and am considering how it’s possible to even put the lights inside the box without any place for it.

Is giving some extra vitamins enough for the 30% lack of uva and b from it being on the screen? Has there been any long term studies on this?
Thanks
If your using a tank that is 24" high you need to have it in the tank - the screen and distance is going to block or/ be too far away for him to get adequate UVB-- please post a pic of the top of your tank - we can help you get it inside the tank - there are several ways to hang or cut the screen or take the screen off -

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you post a few pics of your enclosure from the front and also the top to show the size as well as what type of screen you have ? Two feet wouldn't be too high in general because there would be elevated basking spots that would put the dragon much closer to the lights.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No, you don't need to have them in your tank.

The only goal with UV is proper distance. There are multiple factors that go into determining what the proper distance is for your setup, including the type of bulb you are using.

For instance, if you are placing the lights outside of the tank, your UVB will typically also be sitting on some type of screen. This screen will filter out some of the UVB which only means your basking spot needs to be slightly closer to the bulb than it would be if there was no screen obstructing some of the rays, or you need a stronger bulb such as the 14% instead of the 12%

Let us know which UVB you are using, and we will help you set up your enclosure to ensure your dragons exposure is proper at the basking site.

-Brandon

Mango44

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mango
If your using a tank that is 24" high you need to have it in the tank - the screen and distance is going to block or/ be too far away for him to get adequate UVB-- please post a pic of the top of your tank - we can help you get it inside the tank - there are several ways to hang or cut the screen or take the screen off -

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 29

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Looks to me like a fine mesh. In that case I would replace it with a very wide mesh (like chicken wire or "hardware cloth" with 1 inch wide). But see also what others might suggest.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If the screen this size [ pen shown for scale ] then it's O.K.
There is a type of screen that has smaller holes so they would reduce the uvb exposure more but could still work if the uvb is strong enough.

1710786302561.jpg

Mango44

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mango
I might attempt zip ties or chain links to hang it, when I order new bulb, it doesn’t seem that bright in there anyway besides he’s basking area. There’s side panels have slots where I can put the cord through too.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom