do you ever take your bearded dragon out with you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashleydmj

Hatchling Member
JenFid, how on Earth did you take him camping? Did he not have any lights or an enclosure ?! That sounds really fun but isn't that risky? I'd love to do that with mine!

Mushu goes to work with me...I own a feed/seed store. Most of my customers love her...from a distance....but everyone is interested in her and asks lots of questions. She wears her pink harness and leash when we go anywhere because I would panic and freak out if she got away from me. She rides on my shoulder in the truck...and you should see the people jump back at the drive thru when we get our salad...too funny!!! :D

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
Ashleydmj":3nywjxso said:
I have seen many stories on here about people driving with the dragon loose in the car! I'm not sure I trust Jasper enough for that.... But I never hear of any problems!
i have driven alone with Mr Dargon in the car. He was fine sitting on my shoulder looking out the window - until i pulled in to the parking lot of the pet store. then he was climbing on my head. on the way back he sat in the passenger seat.

Oki05

Gray-bearded Member
Have you ever taken them to Petsmart? I was thinking about taking Noodle with me. Would they say anything about her?

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
I have taken him to different petsmart locations.
They never have a problem with it. They are usually excited to see a full grown dragon.
People bring their dogs there all the time, and they'll pee and poop on the floor.

LaDragonEcho

Hatchling Member
hahahaha i thought i wasn't getting kovu out and about enough but after reading this i guess he's living the life of a celebrity beardie because i take him every where with me whenever i can!!! He is just a small little baby about 3 months i think? i where a black jacket usually and he loves to cuddle into the should part or by my under arm Underneath my shirt! hahaha its cute but awkward when you have to get him out in front of someone!!!! :lol: I have taken him to the Drive in (ice cream /fast food place), whenever i go on walks on a calm and sunny day i always try to bring him! i have taken him to the gas station with me many times and he gets a lot of attention there... when im out walking and even when i walked into the Vets clinic 2 of the workers there were petrified of him!! i live in a small town and a town that is based on ranching ans such but i don't ranch or rodeo so i am the only reptile owner in the town (i am pretty sure at least) and they don't get reptiles in there very much!!! i am hoping when i work up there next fall that i can bring him to work and have his own little temporary set up there for when he needs to eat or heat up! but yeah he just sits on my shoulder and never tries to get down! such a good little boy! i did however get kicked out of the drive in because it was a health issue so now i just remember to keep my jacket zipped when i go there! :lol:

Ophiophilist

Hatchling Member
Once I get my dragon and he is settled in and a little larger/easier to handle, I plan to take him all over the place with me! I want to socialize him well and have him be my travel buddy, so we can go to the beach together and spend lots of time outside in the sun, and so he can be a good reptile ambassador to the public. :D I can't wait till next summer when he'll be big enough to soak in a kiddie pool outside.

I'm going to take my adult ball python to PetSmart this weekend, she's never been but she's a sweet girl so I think it'll be fun! People will get to see what an adult ball looks like compared to the babies they sell. People tend to be more open to lizards than snakes though, so I don't know what to expect.

Oki05

Gray-bearded Member
Ophiophilist":1udyta1z said:
I'm going to take my adult ball python to PetSmart this weekend, she's never been but she's a sweet girl so I think it'll be fun! People will get to see what an adult ball looks like compared to the babies they sell. People tend to be more open to lizards than snakes though, so I don't know what to expect.

Let us know how the visit is. I'm ok with snakes but my mom won't let me have one. But let us know how everything goes

Ophiophilist

Hatchling Member
I will! It will be good practice, I'm scheduled to do an educational presentation about reptiles this summer for the kids at my local library, so I need to get used to answering questions and dealing simultaneously with a reptile in my hands and curious/possibly scared people around me. And it can't hurt to acclimatize my scalekids ahead of time to having people and noise around them, though all mine are very docile and I'm sure they'll be fine.

I've taken my leopard geckos and several of my snakes to work offices before, people were curious and one coworker actually had my python around her shoulders to take a picture to send to her husband. And my grandmother's nurse held my kingsnake all on her own, I was so proud of her. :mrgreen: But this is actually my first PetSmart trip with an animal, so we'll see!

I really love helping others appreciate reptiles of all kinds. I figure if they see that reptiles aren't that scary, they'll be less likely to try and hurt or kill them if they ever encounter one.

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
Miss Booger I take everywhere. Petco, Petsmart, feed stores and hardware stores. She stays in her carrier until we get there then harness and leash. She sits on my shoulder looking the way I am walking. People look, and start saying " did you see that lizard"? Kids are the most fun, they ask about her and I ask them if they want to pet her, most ask if she bites, I say no,but she might lick you. She now will sit on my shoulder while driving. I pulled up to a stop light and there was a guy waving a sign, he looked twice and when she turned her head he gave me a big thumbs up. Last time I took her to the hardware store I had a lot of people stop me and ask questions and most knew what she was and all that before I even got inside the store. I act like there is nothing on me and when the people walk past they turn again to see if she is real, or they walk wide around me. She loves the attention.

Mumtozeus

Hatchling Member
Hi
I live in the UK and as you know it can get cold, I'd live to let Zeus out. What is the best weather to take him out? I know when it's warm but what's the coolest temperature I can take him out?

Thanks

Feline

I don't know the actual answer but I'm assuming 13-16 degrees Celsius (55-60 F) would be the coolest temperature that you could take him outside? My Beardie got lost on a warm day and then the temperature dropped to 4 degrees Celsius at night and he managed to survive somehow.

I take my Beardie everywhere with me, if the place permits. I usually walk my roommate's 3 dogs at the park and my Beardie would ride on my chest or shoulder. He also loves car rides and usually sits on the dash board to soak in all the sun.

Ophiophilist

Hatchling Member
We got some interesting reactions today at PetSmart. I draped Leu around my neck as I’ve done since she was little and just went about my business. I sometimes do that at home so Leu is very used to using me as a warm perch and hanging on as I move around.

One lady spotted her and exclaimed something to a nearby associate, who looked over and smiled but didn’t say anything. Two women stopped by to ask me if she was real. They were very concerned for me, so I got to gently explain about ball pythons and their utter harmlessness. Then as I was checking out, as the cashier handed me my receipt, he did a double take and said he hadn’t even seen her there. XD

I got the feeling most people didn’t even notice her.
I was wearing bright blue so it’s not like she blended in. It’s just more evidence of how non intrusive snakes are that I could walk around with a good sized ball python around my neck and most people didn’t even see her.
I’m happy with how it went for everyone involved. She was relaxed except for one minute where I accidentally knocked a reptifogger off a shelf and startled her.

Oki05

Gray-bearded Member
Well nice to know the trip went good maybe I'll take Noodle next time I go get crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom