Do you buy feeders in bulk for one beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarac

Original Poster
Ok. Also just curious what everyone thinks a “staple” is. Because today my neighbor sent me a picture of one of my crickets in his apartment.... so I don’t think those are the best option if I want to keep my Lemon lol.... but I also don’t really know if I can only feed her dubias. Any ideas? Or should I just try to contain my crickets better. She really is not a fan of BSFL unless she is starving

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think of a staple as something that is relatively healthy that you can get easily (bugs or veges) or build a colony of (in terms of bugs) so that you have it on hand whenever it's needed. Then you add variety to build on that based on what is available.

sarac

Original Poster
Okay, so is it fine if I really just feed dubias and order some silkworms and she can have the occasional superworm. I only say that because those 3 can come pretty small. I can’t tell if wax worms or butter worms are too big for her and then hornworms just grow waaaaay too fast. I want to start a dubia colony so badly, but first I need to find out if there’s any way for me to make one that’s very small and doesn’t need a huge bin lol

It’s way easier for me to vary the veggies even though she only takes a few bites of them.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah you can make a small roach colony but you'll need to feed them off regularly to keep it in check. It helps to keep it a bit cooler (room temp is fine) so they don't reproduce as rapidly. It does still take several months to establish a colony. I've kept one for years and consider that to be the staple. I order black soldier fly larvae and hornworms as the weather permits and will occasionally order some silk worms as variety bugs.

sarac

Original Poster
CooperDragon":27qcll1p said:
Yeah you can make a small roach colony but you'll need to feed them off regularly to keep it in check. It helps to keep it a bit cooler (room temp is fine) so they don't reproduce as rapidly. It does still take several months to establish a colony. I've kept one for years and consider that to be the staple. I order black soldier fly larvae and hornworms as the weather permits and will occasionally order some silk worms as variety bugs.

Awesome. Is there anywhere I can read about breeding them small scale? Or just breeding in general?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom